build a Grendel

ocharry

hi guys and gals

i got the itch to build a 6.5 Grendel, need has nothing to do with this....it is, i want to build one .....just thought i would get this out of the way up front...think it will be for hunting too, yotes and maybe deer and maybe a pesky racoon you know just killing type of gun....mostly inside of 400yrds

so to you all out there who have built and shoot this cute little round, i need some bolt input and maybe barrel advice

i have read that this round uses a opened up 223 bolt face and it make them hard on the locking lugs?? like break them hard?? so if that is true who makes a good bolt and where do i find one??

as for the barrel i dont need a one holer but really good would be nice..again who and where??

i just want to start gathering parts now because i know i might be waiting on some of them and the bolt is probably going to be one of the parts in the waiting bin

so any advice from the crowd??

thanks

ocharry

Nathan

Are you building on AR15 platform? If so, there are Grendel/spc bolts available. Yes, they have a rep for not handling the hottest loads well, but normal book loads should be ok.

44caliberkid

I’ve had the parts laying around for far too long. Will try to get to it this spring. I’m using an AR15 Performance barrel and “Super Bolt”.

ocharry

Nathan...... yes AR platform...and yes i do see the bolts are available, i had not seen that the breakage was due to the hotter end loads.....thats kinda good to know...not planning on pushing to the limits...if i can get it to run in the 23-2500fps range i would be happy..dont need a speed demon just a good shooter with a little more down range punch

44... i dont have any parts YET.....but i just want to get a few opinions about what parts i should be looking at...i did build a AR 223 last spring and i bought some tools to do it so i thought i would use them again and build a 6.5 grendel, i think the only thing i need tool wise is go-no go gauges

lot of sales going on right now.. was thinking Ballistic advantage barrel 18" with rifle length gas system, i like that length it just has a nice balance to me

so tell me about the super bolt?? why you picked it and where to look at the specs and maybe buy??

i am retired and i had a lot of fun doing the 223 and it turned out nice and shoots really well,,,,soooo... i thought i would like to try an grendel...like said before, need has nothing to do with it...lol

thanks
ocharry

44caliberkid

AR15 Performance made and sold the superbolt. I just checked his website and apparently he’s not making 6.5 Grendel barrels anymore. He still has an enhanced bolt, but none in stock. Sorry.

Last edited:

ocharry

yeah i have been looking around and have some parts in the mail...and there are a few bolts out there ..lol..most are out of stock in the grendel but im sure one will pop up

got on a couple notify me lists so we will see

ocharry

mel80

yeah i have been looking around and have some parts in the mail...and there are a few bolts out there ..lol..most are out of stock in the grendel but im sure one will pop up

got on a couple notify me lists so we will see

ocharry
https://unbrandedar.com/product/m16...r-group-nitride-9310-bolt-w-billet-extractor/

or ya can buy a bolt from aa
https://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Bolts_and_Extractors-6_5_Grendel_Bolt_Assembly_2.html

theese guys restock pretty often i am running 2 of theese bolts
https://www.righttobear.com/ar15-parts/bolt-carrier-groups-bcgs/6-5-grendel-bcgs/

there ya go that will get ya started

even the cheap bolt has held up to my abuse the rtb bolts are very nice i have one in my elr build with one of there billet lightwight carriers

if sixfive arms had any in stock id highly recommend on of his bolts

its the early grendel bolts that were using a 7.62x39 bolt face that were weak btw

Last edited:

ocharry

thanks mel...i went to the web sights you sent and the right to bear had magazines too...what kind of mags do you run??..i have some C product mags for the 223 and they work fine and these guys have them for the 6.5 along with the acs ...need those too... lol

also the unbranded sight has a bolt on sale but i think i want the nickel boron finish to help with the cleaning

i will check out the sixfive products....i am not in a hurry but the gathering process has started ...lol...and looking for sales and good deals on stuff

i have a new griffin bolt laying around so i could get by with just a bolt and use that carrier but i dont think i really want to go there just yet...im sure a good deal on a good bolt will show up...especially after i buy one...thats how it works for me

good info to know about the early bolts and the 7.62x39...guess i can put that to bed and stop thinking about it being an issue

i have my eye on a 18" ballistic advantage barrel in a medium heavy profile about 40oz i think...not to heavy but heavy enough with a slim profile midwest free float forearm ....should make for a nice accurate slick profile ...lol... what you think or any thoughts??

thanks again for pointing me mel

ocharry

Last edited:

ocharry

thanks everybody for the insight and pointers

guess i got to get busy and get some more stuff in the mail so i can get this thing put together...lol

again thanks everyone

ocharry

mel80

i only use asc 10 and 15 rd mags never had an issue never tried anything else , and they let me load out to an oal of 2.310

hounddawg

just built my latest grendel using a Aero receiver and BCG,both have a great fit and finish. I used a Wilson Combat barrel which was snug fit into the receiver. Not quite a thermal fit but tight. The gas tube and block were also from Wilson. I used an Atlas free float handguard.

It shoots sub MOA for 5 shots using Barnes 120's with TAC

From what I have read the bolt issue was early on in Type 1 Grendels which used a 7.62X39 bolt that have not only thin but deeper recessed bolt faces (.136 vs .125") supposedly making them weaker. So far I have ran some pretty hot loads, not exceeding book of course ,with my two Grendel's with no issues

Last edited: