Build a 1911?

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Got the latest McCormick catalog in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Looks like Chip sells frames... slides... barrels...

Since I love to tinker, I started assembling a list of parts necessary to build my own 1911. Totalled them up...

$1200 and change.
eek.gif

My question to those who have done it: worth it? Would you do it again?

JoeHatley

I didn't use McCormick parts, but I've built my own.

About 3 years ago I put together my first 1911 at the "kitchen table".

Started with a very used Colt slide an barrel I pick up at a gun show. Had a buddy order me a stainless frame from Essex. Ordered everything else from Wilson Combat.

The frame took a lot of work to finish. I did it by hand. The "gunsmith fit" parts I ordered were fairly straight forward to fit, but again took a lot of work to finish by hand.

Finished pistol looks good and shoots great. The satisfaction of "building your own" is very gratifying.

I totaled up my cost at the time, and I think it was in the $700 range, plus Lord knows how many hours.

I'm glad I did it, but now that I know I can, I probably wouldn't do it again. Especially given the cost/quality of the Kimbers that are available.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Me not bein' real interested in "purty", I'd start with a rusty clunker variety of original Colt, Series 70 or older. They're commonly real cheap, particularly if you watch the Thrifty Nickel and such. Or the small-town want-ads where a collection of guns might be offered.

So, you have a usable frame and slide. Maybe even an adequate barrel. The parts you need are relatively inexpensive, and will transfer to another gun if need be.

You can do the throat-and-polish bit as George has suggested. You can bevel the magazine well. Stone the sear, as shown in Halleck's book, if need be.

I happen to like the MMC fixed combat sights. But they make a staking tool for front sights that works real well on any 1911 slide.

When you're all done, if you want, you can get a final polish and blue job. Checkering and all that, if you want. The thing is, if you do the mechanical stuff first, you can always save up for the paint job, later. And shoot the dang thing in the meantime.
smile.gif

Good times!

Art

1911Heaven

The first 1911 "frankenpistol" I built is still to me one of my favorite pistols and was a very satisfying & fun project.Back when I built it,Colt was still King,so that was the platform.To tighten slide to frame required peening the rails against fitting plates and lapping for final fit...we still smoked the rails with a candle then for fit reference.Todat with the enormous variety of excellent slides & frames that are already toleranced through cnc,half a dozen or so great barrels,triggers,hammers & sears etc. etc.,building your own truly great and personal 1911 really is'nt that difficult.The critical thing still,as it has always been,is fitting the barrel lugs,hood,feet and bushing to the slide.This is where your real mechanical accuracy comes from.Go for it!Regards.

WESHOOT2

Did it with Caspian frame/slide; all other parts "best quality".

Well worth it, if only from sheer pride of ownership.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

DaHaMac

I hope to be able to build my own one day, good to hear that it can be done. I am guessing you all are not gunsmiths just shooting fans who have learned what makes the 1911 tick, and thereby your skills were sufficient.

One question, did you have to fill out a federal yellow piece of paper? Get my drift, I like the way its going.

DaHaMac

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
DaHaMac, buying from an individual requires no paperwork in the more enlightened states of the south and west...

Always remember that nobody was born an expert anything, and if you can learn geology or engineering out of a book, you can learn about the innards of 1911s.

I happen to like Halleck's book on the 1911. There are others equally good.

Hey, it's a lotta fun, and it keeps ya outta beer joints!

Art

7th Fleet

I decided one day about 10 years ago that I wanted to build a duty pistol. I picked up a stainless Caspian Arms slide. I had a Colt Series 70 slide that I had refinished in a beauitful dark blue. I put Wilson combat sights on the slide. I bought the following Wilson parts: guide rod, alloy three hole trigger, flat stainless checkered main spring housing, stainles beaver tail grip safety and anything else that I liked, such as double diamond checkered black ebony grips. When I got this jewel put together, I decided this gun is to gorgeous, to carry on duty. I have never carried it on duty for a single shift and it lives in my gun safe, I take it out from time to time and admire it and then put it back in the vault. It shoots great but that 1911 is the Queen of my gun safe. I will probably never carry it, its simply to pretty.

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.

[This message has been edited by 7th Fleet (edited April 01, 2000).]

For first time builders, I wouldn't try to buy the best. Kits were popular in the '80s and if there are any left, go that route. Learn from the kit and if you ruin anything, it isn't an arm and a leg to replace it. Once you've acquired the skill and techniques and have a few more tools, then start playing with the expensive stuff.

Mikey

I,ve had a bunch of 1911's in the past few years - bought and built. The only bought one I still have is a Wilson. I still have all the built ones. I cut my home gunsmith teeth on a Springfield. Modified everything on the gun before I was through.

There is a danger in building a 1911...you may never again be satisfied with a "store bought" pistol!

Mikey

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
char923, do you have any comparative Rockwell numbers for McCormick's parts vs. others? Just curious about your info about McC's stuff not being as hard...

Coinneach, do we have you confused enough, yet? If not, we ain't doin' it right. :)

Regards, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited April 01, 2000).]

fubsy

Oh yeah probably the cheapest way is to purchase a used pistol, regardless of condition........like art said....fubsy.

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited April 01, 2000).]

fubsy

Connieach,
Its a labor of love...lol....whats worked for me is to try and find a gunsmith that has stock parts that he has taken off of someones 1911 when they are modifying....ive been able to get just about everything cept the slide and frame, for around $40 and the stock stuff works and you get to learn the gun and can change out what dosent suit you from stock at a more manageable cost over time and it will allow you to go back to stock if you arent satisfied with the modification....also ask em for any slides they might have....I sitting on bout 6 of em and about three completed parts kits, waiting to purchase the frames now...dont worry bout mating a series 70 slide to a aftermarket frame ........also you can occasionally find deals at swap meets or heck even some of your buds who've modified there guns and dont know what to do with those odd parts....lol...fubsy.