BUG: weak side?

Carmady

Since most people are right-handed, it follows that a smart attacker would grab your right arm if he was going to grab an arm.

I've convinced myself that a BUG carried for the weak hand would a good idea in case the strong hand gets restricted, but I have no real experience with such encounters.

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

849ACSO

I am a plainclothes LEO and carry a BUG in an ankle holster every day. I can easily get to it from either hand.

kenny53

That makes sense. I have always carried my back up pocket gun on my strong side. I believe I will rethink this.

JERRYS.

a second gun should be carried opposite of your primary gun. should your strong hand become disabled or otherwise occupied, your weak hand can easily access your second gun.

I imagine if you carried at 2 and 10 o'clock you could access either gun with either hand, but few in this country have the waist line to allow such carry and be discrete about it.

Boncrayon

So if someone grabs your right arm where you carry, it's too late in the encounter to go to a "BUG" plan "B". Don't ever let an attacker get within 20 feet before you can respond!

Jim Watson

Bill Jordan said he could produce a small revolver out of his weak side pocket and execute a border shift before an assailant realized he was under counterattack. But he was FAST. Best practice shooting with the off hand.

lefteye

So if someone grabs your right arm where you carry, it's too late in the encounter to go to a "BUG" plan "B". Don't ever let an attacker get within 20 feet before you can respond!

Nonsense. If you haven't been disabled by an injury in the incident, .e.g., a gunshot, stabbing, etc., and your left arm is free, then you may be able do draw your BUG from a left front pocket. How does anyone prevent an attacker from getting within 20 feet before the victim can respond?

RED_beard92

I like the idea of a BUG gun. My personal back up is a Ruger LCP with a pocket clip. Clips right into my left front pocket and looks just like a knife.

Don P

or inside ankle.
Totally disagree with this method of carry. I have yet to see in my years of shooting / teaching, ANYONE practicing this method of carrying. Don't fool yourself it takes much practice and you will need to learn to shoot from low cover as the possibility of shooting from one knee with ankle carry is almost a guaranty.
The persons mobility is a HUGE factor. It may be a good place to carry "IF" you are knocked off your feet and useless if the perp is on your chest pounding the living snot out of you. The OP's thought of weak side makes much more sense and it also will require a grate deal of practice as it has been stated on this forum the time and place NOT TO LEARN gun handle skills is not in a gun fight.