Buffalo Bore Heavy 30-30

shafter

Anyone have experience with BB's heavy 30-30? Just checked it out on their website and it looks pretty impressive. They state that it will turn your rifle into an elk and moose gun and go through three or four deer. Sounds interesting.

Abel

Looks like its not really needed. The 35 Remington comes in 200 grain & posts a muzzle velocity of 2,020 fps. The regular Winchester 170 grain 30-30 loads go 2,200 fps, for 15 dollars a box.

I think that @ 60 dollars a box, I'll pass on the Buff stuff and stick with good old 170 grain bullets from my 30-30 & the 200 grainers for the 35.

If the 30-30 was my only gun & elk were the animal, maybe. Otherwise, no.

azredhawk44

.30-30 already is an elk or moose gun.

Not that I begrudge anyone from making the .30-30 more powerful, mind you...

But it has killed LOTS of elk. Early 20th century man eradicated the elk from AZ, and what we have now are actually part of a herd that was brought in by train from CO. Folks did that long before the magnum rifle cartridges came about. Your choices were the .30-30, the .30-40 and the .30-06.

And from what I hear (I've never shot one), moose are easier to kill than elk. They go down easier, according to folks who have shot 'em.

30-30remchester

ARZRED is correct that the 30-30 has killed alot of elk but things have changed dramatically today. In the days of old there were either no limits or very generous limits. Either no hunting seasons or generous seasons. Far far fewer hunters in the field in the days of old. Private property was less and permission wasnt even asked of the owner, to hunt in days of old. In these days of 3 to 5 day hunting seasons, and many years of unsucessful draws before a license is issued. The thought of using a cartridge of very limited abilities to elk hunt with is ill advised in my opinion. Also the fact most people only remember their sucesses and forget their failure, it makes me wonder how many were shot and lost with the 30-30. I live in excellent elk country and during the winter my house is surrounded by as many as a thousand elk. Yet it takes about 3 years to get a tag and the average is 7 years of hunting to get an elk. So using these facts that is one chance in 21 years to shoot an elk, I would opt for a more potent round in MODERN real life hunting. If you can check out my name you can tell I am a huge fan of the 30-30 and carry one every day in my vechile. But I was an elk guide for years and have seen over 100 elk shot and can tell you they are tough animals, many times taken at long ranges and at tough angles. I have ordered these Buffalo Bore 30-30's and awaiting their arrival. If I get a chance this year to harvest a cow elk in a controlled manner I will use one and will post results.

Abel

I would think a hundred yard shot on a broadside elk with the regular 170 grain bullet would do the trick nicely. But to be honest, I'd rather pack a 45-70 Marlin 1895 for that same shot.

30-30remchester

ABEL, I only shot one cow elk with a 30-30 at 200 yards and afterwords realised it was too far. The only problem with your view is getting those pesky elk to stand broadside when you want them to. I have tried to get them to obey voice commands with little sucess in the past.

Abel

I figure if a bowhunter will wait for a 30 yard broadside shot, a rifle hunter can manage to do the same at 100.

skinsman

No matter what 30-30 your shooting..... If your huntin elk, you best be close. Least closer than any I ever killed. They aint no little mule deer. I'd never take one myself. Great "brush" guns, and ok for dark timber. But if you can kill an elk at 250 plus with a 30-30 and not toast a ton of meat, your the best shooter I ever saw. Keep in mind, you cant eat antlers. :)