Buffalo Bill Cody's Colt Navy

I found this little tidbit and had to share. Notice the hand punched engraving on the side of the pistol. Impressive piece!

1519475248363ac3ef3c77c9139eb648.jpg

Buffalo Bill Cody’s Colt Navy - This Colt has something for everyone - as it is a serial number 1 gun, was presented to W.F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, was once owned by the “Poet Scout” Jack Crawford and even is nicely engraved. Low number, factory engraved, attributed to two famous Western figures. This first London-made Colt Navy revolver really presents history in a unique fashion.

This famous sixgun is punch dot marked with “W.F. Cody” on the side of the barrel.

Last edited:

bedbugbilly

Interesting!! Great photos of a nice historic Navy!

But . . what isn't there to like about a '51 Navy?! :D

Thankk you for sharing! :)

Smokin'Joe

Is this really a London-made Colt? I thought London Colts had black steel trigger guards and grip back-straps. This revolver seems to have brass.

Fingers McGee

There are three models of the London marked Colt's. Early London's were made from parts shipped from Hartford to train the London factory fitters & polishers; and had brass BS/TG. London-Londons were made from parts made in London and had blued iron BS/TG. Then there were Hartford-Londons that were made in Hartford & shipped over to London for proofing & sale. These had both brass and iron BS/TG.

Last edited:

Model12Win

What a jem of a gun!

I have a Cimarron made Colt navy that's currently getting some work done on it to make it a dream shooter. This thread makes me want to get him back quick and in a hurry!!!!

Mk VII

This gun was written up by Joseph Rosa in Colonel Colt London.
The late Harry Knode purchased it from a girl who said she had obtained it in Mexico. It changed hands for $1000. It later passed to the R.Q. Sutherland collection. It has the London address and the barrel has been cut down to 6.75". The gun is a typical early Hartford-London, but the barrel is of much later date. The address die has the broken 'O' in 'COLT' which occurred later in the die's life. As Rosa put it, "an imaginative vandal had punched W F CODY on the barrel lug ..."