Budget optic for my Saiga?

MagicMan

Looking for suggestions on a budget optic & mount for my Saiga. I prefer something with magnification. It is going on a .308

Last edited:

Yithian

Get a Russian scope for your Russian rifle...
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/rifle-scopes.htm

Just be sure it mounts on an AK or Saiga, and not a SKS, Tigr, or CKC.

02-08-08_0231.jpg

Top, 308 w/POSP... bottom 223

Last edited:

lipadj46

The UTG quick release side mount is a decent budget mount for $35. The low russian BP-02 mount for $50 from eastwave is best. For a scope I am not sure how budget you want to go but look at the Nikon Prostaff or Bushnell Legend lines, I believe they are both have fully multi-coated optics.

lipadj46

The UTG is a little higher but still sits pretty low. You can take off the dust cover without removing the optic which is nice.

kirkcdl

Well,it keeps it more "original" if that's a factor.Plus the POSP side rail mounts can be removed and replaced with no loss of zero,this is relatively important when disassembling for cleaning.When you use a top cover mounted scope,not only are they less than stable due to the loose fit of the top cover,but you will need to re-zero the scope every time you clean the gun.Add to that,my personal opinion is that they just look better,and therefore make the gun look better...You can find them on Ebay and/or one of the AK forums for between $90-$125 if you check frequently enough to get them before someone else does...All in all,it is a personal choice in the end...

You could always get a side rail mount with a Weaver style top,and put a cheap scope on it,though...

L_Killkenny

Go to Walmart and buy one of the cheap 1.5-4x shotgun scopes for around $60. They do seen to be reliable and the price is right. I don't think I could bring myself to put a quality scope like a Weaver on a Siaga :barf:

sholling

The problem with a shotgun scope is parallax errors. A Weaver rifle scope is set to be parallax free at 100yds - while most shotgun scopes are set for 50. The second issue is the nature of the Saiga - it's a self defense tool. I'd want the ability to get as close to 1x magnification as possible unless I was investing in a very repeatable quick release mount - which would cost more than the scope.. I also don't believe in skimping on quality on anything I might bet my life on.

L_Killkenny

Like you said, "most". IIRC, the Centerpoint Shotgun Scope is set paralex free at 100 yards. Plus, is a Siaga accurate enough for shooting beyond 50 yards?

I also don't believe in skimping on quality on anything I might bet my life on.

Then why buy a siaga?

sholling

Then why buy a siaga?
Is the OP allowed to own better in NJ? Has the OP called your children ugly? If not why do you insult his toys? The Saiga is a perfectly adequate defensive weapon for most people. No it's not an M21 but it's not $2000 either. I wouldn't hang a $1000 scope on it, but I wouldn't trust my life to a $60 scope either. But to each their own.

lipadj46

Like you said, "most". IIRC, the Centerpoint Shotgun Scope is set paralex free at 100 yards. Plus, is a Siaga accurate enough for shooting beyond 50 yards?

Yes, have you ever shot an AK before?

Then why buy a siaga?

People buy Saigas because they are pretty much they are the only russian made AK type rifle you can easily buy these days. Some of the best AK clones out there are based on a Saiga build.

sholling

Pentax has several lines. The major ones are the Lightseeker and Gameseeker. The Lightseeker is good quality scope that's made in the Philippines, the Gameseeker I'd rate as one of the best of the Chinese made scopes (for whatever that's worth).

I have a 4-16x50 Gameseeker and it's bright and clear. I just keep it as a spare but it's not a bad scope. The little one I can't speak for. I also have no clue how they hold up. My guess is that I will probably be one of the better cheapies.