Budget bolt action for plinking, maybe hunting.

Jake Balam

I own a shotgun, I own handguns..

I really think next I want to pick up is a scoped bolt action rifle.

Anyone have any suggestions for a budget first rifle? I don't really have a preferance on caliber, just something cheapish to shoot.

I was thinking .308 or 30.06, just in case I do pick up hunting.

Any thoughts?

NESHOOTER

.223 is a good varm gun and ammo is way cheaper than .308,30-06 and you can find it almost everywhere. It is not a big game rifle, a plus is very low recoil.

5whiskey

As always, I will advocate Savage Arms. In your case, a Stevens 200 (made by Savage) would be a handy and inexpensive choice. Caliber? .223 is alot cheaper to shoot, but decent .308 can be found for around .50 cents per round. If you're shooting a bolt gun for accuracy, that's fairly cheap shooting. Plus you'll have a round adequate for North American Big Game.

dts686

I would and am going to go with a Marlin XL7. Great accurate rifle for under $300. Many reviews online. :rolleyes:

ripnbst

Mossberg ATR 100, great gun FOR THE PRICE.

Can pick one up at Walmart for cheap and they are chambered in several popular calibers such as .270 WIN, .30-06 Springfield, .243 WIN, and .308 WIN. I would try and buy a .270 as it is a GREAT all around cartridge. It will take animal as big as Elk and anything smaller obviously. The round has good ballistics with plenty of economical ammo options, I don't know, there are so many reasons that if you are buying one rifle its what I'd buy.

Heck, I did buy one and so far no complaints.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Savage. They aren't the most expensive rifles out there but they are well made and have a well deserved reputation for being very accurate.

Doyle

A 30-06 or .308 would be a great choice for a hunting round. However, neither are what I would consider a strong candidate as a "plinker". Unless you shoot enough to justify handloading or have way more money than I do, plinking with either will drain your wallet in a hurry. Not to mention leaving your shoulder pretty sore.

You might want to consider meeting your two needs with separate rifles. You can pick up a really decent .22 very little money and shoot all day long for $20 in ammo. On the other hand, you can go through $20 in 30-06 or .308 ammo in a matter of minutes.

wingman

What do you hunt,?, if deer the 243 works great also good on varmints plus being very accurate. Brand choice, Savage or Thompson Center Venture both hard to beat accuracy wise.