Buckshot

Birdville2011

since texas will have a split dove season this year, 2 weeks will be in deer season. because of luck, if i take a shotgun, i'll see deer, but if i take my .30-30, i'll see dove. i was thinking i would buy a box of buck shot and have it with me while dove hunting in case i saw a deer- what size shot should i get that would be good out to 30 or 40 yards?

banditt007

why not smooth bore slugs...like fosters/brenneke's? these kill much better than buckshot. for buckshot i'd go 00 buck 2 3/4" or 3" you have to shoot some paper targets to see how the pattern is w/ them and at what distance. the closer the better w/ buckshot. 40 yards is pushing it IMO. if you want some REAL buckshot, check out a company called dixie slugs... their tri-ball load. its 3 hard cast 20 gauge balls in a 3" 12 gauge hull. they group extremly tight, and do A LOT MORE damage than the .33 caliber or so buckshot which is 00 buck.

Birdville2011

the reason i cant get a smooth bore shotgun is i just bought an 870 express and mom won't let me spend money on a new barell. plus i like a mod. choke while dove hunting. i'll just stick to a couple rounds of buckshot in my vest

Last edited:

lockedcj7

Check you local laws. Carrying slugs or buckshot would be illegal while hunting migratory birds in SC. If it was legal, I'd keep a foster slug or two in my pants pocket.

PointOneSeven

I say strap up for Dove season and stick a couple of 00's or slugs in the pocket in case you see a deer. Good luck on the hunt.

newerguy

You almost certainly have a smoothbore barrel now, and there is a recent thread about using slugs through a modified choke.

retrieverman

I agree with the suggestion to pattern the buckshot out of your gun, and I would try the modified choke first (it has patterned best for me). I think your plan is great. I am a huge fan of 00 buck and have killed 20 deer and hogs with it, but I sure try to limit my range to 30 yards and under. I have made clean kills out to 40 yards, but that is stretching it in my opinion.

Good luck and happy hunting!

I want to go deer/dove hunting! That sounds like a hell of a lot of entertainment.

Pattern your buckshot before you go out, though, so you can get some idea of your useful range. Chokes sometimes do weird things to big projectiles, but it will probably be fine.

crowbeaner

I'm an opportunist; I always carry birdshot with me when I deer hunt. I would carry the slugs. They will shoot farther, and have a better track record of putting deer down. Buckshot isn't legal for deer hunting here. Good hunting and shoot a BIG one. My $.02. CB.