Buckshot & chokes ?

Moloch

Hi!

I have a question about my shotgun shooting buckshot with chokes. I have a short double barrel EAA coachgun threaded for chokes. First I tried 00 buckshot without filler with cylinder chokes installed, about palm sized pattern at 12 yards. Next same buck through full chokes - and guess what? A bit bigger pattern than with cylinder chokes! Huh?

And I thought tighter chokes give tighter shot pattern. :confused:

Moloch

Thats what I first thought too, but even a full choke isnt so extreme tight to do that...I think? :eek:
My shotgun is mainly used for home defense, so a big pattern is quiet useful! But I guess it puts a lot of stress on the chokes.

oneounceload

It might be - depends on your bore size. Usually, what you describes is a blown pattern. Try other types of shells - (birdshot and up) to see if the results are replicated.

As for HD, palm-size at that distance is actually about perfect

Moloch

I only have #4 at hand, but I'll try it out and see if I can get tighter groups with it.
As for HD, palm-size at that distance is actually about perfect
Its actually even wider, the pattern with full choke is about 6''+ at 12 yards! I am just not sure if ''squishing'' the shot does hurt the chokes.-

Doyle

Yep, you're getting a blown pattern with the full choke. The shot pellets are actually rebounding off each other causing them to spread out.

oneounceload

I was referring to this statement:

First I tried 00 buckshot without filler with cylinder chokes installed, about palm sized pattern at 12 yards.

If that's what you get, use the cylinder chokes

I would take the larger patter, especally with a double. You are more likely to get a hit with your two shots and you are going to hit all kinds of differet systems if you get a good hit.

rantingredneck

Yep, blown pattern.

Some loads/barrels like a tighter choke, some like a more open choke. No real rhyme or reason to it at times other than finding out what your gun and load do at the range.

rantingredneck

You are more likely to get a hit with your two shots and you are going to hit all kinds of differet systems if you get a good hit.

Or you can poke a lot of .30 caliber holes in peripheral areas of the body, doing nothing to quickly stop your attacker. Buckshot works better in a nice concentrated mass.

Nice palm sized or so pattern COM for me thanks.................

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
In The Temple Of The Shotgun Gods are many altars. At some, those who love spread worship. I pray elsewhere.

The Forensic folks tell me the MOST effective pattern for shotgun pellets is about 5" across.

This concentrates a hellish amount of energy in a small area, rendering a energy transfer similar to a car wreck. If that energy is applied to the SNS, close to a 100% one shot stop rate is achieved.

IOW, hitting a threat with a tight pattern will be most likely to render that threat past tense.

Spread is no antidote for bad shooting.

As to the OP, I have found that even Modified may be counterproductive. As with all things shotgun, best to actually test what YOUR gun and load will do at the most likely range of engagement.

Moloch

Could pushing buckshot through a full-choke lead to damage of the choke thread? The buckshot must create a lot of force to the choke if it gets squished through, right?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Not much risk to the threads if they are in good shape and choke is not loose.

the rule of thumb is mod, improved or improved cylinder will most often give best results.
Brent

Moloch

Thanks for the reply.
The threads are alright, its a new gun afterall. (Baikal coachgun). But since I heard about ripped open barrels and shot out chokes with slugs I am a bit worried about over-stressing chokes with buck.

But I like the blown pattern I get with the full chokes, its quiet a bit larger than with cylinder. I use it as a self defence shotgun, I cannot have enough shot spread! :D

Damage Risk

I think the damage risk may lie in the entire bore and choke itself. Not the threads. Its like pushing too big of a poop out, it hurts due to the fact everything has to expand know what I mean. You are putting a lot of outward pressure on the choke wall and barrel wall which could eventually result in damage.

rantingredneck

You will not damage your choke or your gun by firing 00 through a tighter choke. Steel barrel and choke, lead shot and plastic wad. Which will deform first?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
It is shooting non lead shot thru a tight restriction that can bulge a barrel or blow out a choke. You can fire any solid slug thru at least a full choke without risk so 00 buck isn't gonna give reason to fret.
Brent

ocharry

i believe i will stand on Dave McC's side of the table on this one

especially the "need to test your load and gun to see what works best" part

i also like the 5" car wreck part

YMMV

ocharry