Buckmark reassembly question

SteelyDan

Okay--I'm embarassed.

The safety on my Browning Buckmark (basic model) was too tight, so I took it apart to "fix" it. So far so good. Now comes reassembly time.

I put it all back together, and I got it wrong. The slide didn't just go straight back, as it should, it wanted to go back and up (this was before putting on the sight mounting base). Tried again, got it all back together, but after racking the slide a few times it doesn't want to go back anymore.

So I have two questions. First, is this something that I should just bring to a smith and get fixed, because I'll probably screw it up again? And second (this is my preferred alternative), what's the proper way to reassemble a Buckmark? Specifically, what is the correct order for reassembling (1) the mainspring, (2) the hammer and hammer link, (3) the sear, and (4) the safety, and are there any special tips or hints to be aware of?

If this is an issue that might legitimately affect the safety of the gun, I'll tuck my tail between my legs and bring it to the smith. (Heck, it wouldn't even be the first time.) But if I can do it myself, that's a whole lot more satisfying. And don't worry, if I'm not 100% sure it's correct, I won't fire it.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate them.

Hal

"Way back when in Sixty seven
I was the dandy of Gamma Chi
Sweet things from Boston so young and willing
Moved down to Scarsdale where the hell am I

Hey Nineteen
No we can't dance together
No we can't talk at all
Please take me along when you slide on down"

Sounds like you're livin up to your namesake what with the last line and all. Sorry, couldn't resist. If it's any comfort, I can't get that song outta my head now...

Later, when the sun comes up and my eyes start working, I'll drag out one of the Buckmarks and have a look see to see if there's anything obvious.

I've had the retaining clip on the back of the slide spring pop off and tie things up pretty well on my wife's Micro. Have you checked to see if it's still in place?

Hal

Looks like the problem is with the safety or possibly witht he slide disconnect. I had trouble getting the slide disconect (under the right grip) posistioned just so in order for it to work right. (That's some piece of,,,ahem,,engineering work eh?) Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm really hesitant to take it down anymore than filed strip level.

rick_reno

Buckmark reassemly question

Browning firearms has the complete manuals online for most of their guns in HTML and PDF format. I did the same thing you did with my Buckmark and needed to find the manual. Here is the link to the Buckmark manual
http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/buckmark/buckmark.htm
and here is the url for all the other manuals
http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/manuals.htm

I think their putting their manuals on-line is an excellent idea and should be something all firearm manufacturers should do.