Buckmark maintenance

croyance

How often should I change the recoil buffer on a Buckmark? I'd hate to have the slide beat itself to death on a worn out recoil buffer.

I finally bought a Buckmark Micro Plus. I got it for $244, and since Buckmark Campers go for about $229, I think I got a good deal on it. The trigger was the best of the Buckmarks I handled, and the wood grips look good. My first .22 LR.
My only complaint is how it misfeeds. When the magazine was full it would not always feed the next round. That is, when fired the spent casing was fired, the slide cycled, but the next round was not loaded. Or sometimes it would be partially loaded. This is awkward for me, since this is my first experience with a .22 LR. I had to get a screwdriver to push on the end of the stuck round, so I could eject the magazine. The awkwardness comes from putting pressure on the end of a "rimfire". I did not have this problem when six or less rounds were loaded in the magazine.

1911Fencer

I think...

sometimes the magazine spring is too strong, and exerts resistance on the slide, causing the slide to slow down, and not go it's full swing. It's not going far enough back to catch the next round in the magazine. My Buckmark has done this a few times, but it's infrequent. It happens more with standard velocity rounds, so I usually stick to high velocity stuff. Try some high vel. stuff and see what happens.

M@

Hal

Try swabbing out the magazine with #9 solvent, then run a few dry patches into it to dry it out.
You don't say what kind of ammo you tried. Have you tried some CCI mini mags? I'd try running a few hundred of them through. The buffer should last several thousand rounds.

Excellent price BTW. I paid over $300.00 for my Buckmark plus, and $239.00 for my wife's Micro Nickle. My Camper was $200.00.

Marcus

I`m not sure how often you should change it but after probably 5000rds. the one in my old Buckmark still looked like new. The one in my Micro Plus nickle SE still looks and feels new too after about 3000rds. RAE is right, you got a great deal! I payed well over $300 for my loaded Micro. Try some different brands of ammo,all rimfire semi autos tend to be a little finicky. It may also need a few hundred rounds for all the parts to "get friendly". Marcus

croyance

Thanks all, for your help.
I did use regular velocity CCI .22LR. The slide did seem to stick a bit at first, so I may just need to wear it in a bit. I did clean everything out and oil the contact areas before taking it out on the range.
The misfeeds through me off because I never had any problems with my centerfires (9mm and .45 ACP), even straight out of the box. I have heard that .22's can be finicky, I had no idea as to the extent.
I just ordered a Hi-Viz front sight, since I have problems seeing a black front blade with a back rear sight on a black centered target. New recoil buffers are $1 each from Browning, so I got five just in case.
I got that deal because I was also looking at some other guns, particularly a Browning HiPower Practical. If I bought the HiPower I could get the Buckmark for $244. So twist my arm harder, why don't you.
I never had any issues with HiPower triggers before, in spite of comments by others about the gritty pull. After shooting the Buckmark, the HiPower trigger felt heavy and gritty! The only trigger on a pistol that has felt better to me was a S&W Performance Center 625.

Ledbetter

Recoil spring too

Buffer should look worn out when compared to a new one. As you found out, they're cheap enough to keep a few on hand. Change the spring at the same time.

Beware your recoil spring guide rod doesn't get bent.

Regards.

zanthope

My Camper is about a year old, with maybe 2000 rounds through it. It wouldn't shoot ANYTHING except CCI Mini-Mags until I cleaned it and lubed it with CLP.

Now, it will eat anything I feed it, except (surprise, surprise) the horribly filthy & stinky Wolf "Match Grade" 22 they're selling at gun shows for $1.50 per fifty.

weldonjr2001

"I did use regular velocity CCI .22LR. "

Croyance,

That's my situation exactly. I figured it was a target gun, bought a brick of CCI standard velocity long rifles, and experienced exactly what you did. My Buckmark just needs high velocity long rifles. I'm going to get another spring and start trimming the original back in small increments to see if I can get it to function reliably with standard velocity rounds. But it sure seems like a miscalculation at the factory.

Rhino48

Fix your problem yet? I had one magazine out of my 4 that would do that to me in my Buckmark, I messed with the feed lips to make them look more like the onther ones I had that worked properly, and presto, no problem.

GSB

I did use regular velocity CCI .22LR.

Try CCI Blazers (I'm guessing those aren't the ones you used?). I've had no problem with them, they are accurate in my Buckmark, and they are cheaper than the Mini Mags.