Buckmark mags

Peter Gun

I've been trying to get more mags for my Browning Buckmark micro (4"bbl). I can't find one that fits. The ones i've bought have a wider plate at the bottom of the mag that won't fit in my mag well. My mags are the same width all the way through. Someone told me it is a "challenger" model, but it doesn't look like the one in the catalog. I bought mine used so I don't know how old it is. Where can I get some mags for this gun? Thanks!

Hal

If it's indeed a Challenger or a Challenger II and not the more recent Challenge<--note the lack of an "r", the best idea would be to retire it and buy a new Buckmark.

Challenger and CII magazines are all but non-existant.
Sure, lots of on-line places claom to have them but when you talk to them they mysteriously have been recently sold.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/buckmark/buckmark.htm

If it looks like a composite of the Buckmark Challenge and the Buckmark plus,,,Challenge thin pencil barrel and the Plus frame w/ a larger Browning medallion more centered in the wooden grip,,,with deep "too die for" bluing, it's probably one of the older Challenger models.

I came this close --><-- to buying one a few years back at Dicks Gun Room (my local dealer) for $125.00, in As New in Box condition. The only problem with it was that it didn't have a magazine,,,the reason it was so cheap. The thing was goregous and I really wanted it, but the salesman (Gary) was quick to point out the lack of a magazine.

Don't give up hope though (if the above applies) since every once in a while odd ball things like this pop up at gun shows. FWIW, I have a couple of older less well known guns that I've had to retire because parts are so hard to find it isn't worth the risk of shooting them anymore.

9x19

No offense, but I need ot ask: Have you actually tried to insert the mag and latch it, or just looked at them and they didn't look the same?

I ask because Browning made a change to their Buck Mark mags a year or so back and all new BuckMark mags have the wider base.

This wider base is meant to be left outside the mag well, not go inside and fit flush with the bottom of the grip like the old style, hence the new mags are also a little longer overall.

I have five Buck Marks and about a dozen mags, some old style, some new, and they all fit in any of the pistols without a problem.

Good luck

Peter Gun

No, I stand by my original post. The Buckmark I own is IDENTICAL to the picture of the Buckmark Micro Nickel in the catalog except it is blued. I did try the new mag I bought, but it would not go far enough into the well to engage. The mags that came w/ the gun go completely flush. Is there someplace I can research the serial #? I'm still puzzled.

9x19

Though unusual, perhaps the one mag you bought was improperly manufactured... any chance you can return it to the store and try a different one?

Hal

Peter,
Does yours look like the one in the center, only in blue?

Left to right:
Buckmark Plus
Buckmark Micro
Buckmark Camper

Hal

Here's the magazines, which BTW, are all interchangable between the guns.
Note-The one on the far left lost it's "shoe". The small plastic piece on the bottom. I'm wondering if the one that came with your gun might have done that?

Hal

Here's the Micro with one of the mags that has the shoe in place. Note, it does extend a little bit beyond the frame.

Hal

Sorry for having to break this up into so many posts, but the software limits the size of attachments.

All of the magazines are Browning mags. Are the ones you bought Browning or some other brand?

Russ

I have a Challenger III. Looks just like the Buckmark in RAE's first post above with the bull barrel, wood grips and gold plated trigger. I bought it new in 1981 or 82.

I bought some Buckmark mags from www.cheaperthandirt.com a few years ago and they all fit and function perfectly. They were under a catagory called "scarce magazines".

If you have one of the older Challengers, I or II, they may be different. I don't think the I or II's had the bull barrel however. As I recall, they had the real skinny barrel on them. If it is a Challenger III, the name should be deeply stamped into the barrel. If not, and you have the bull barrel, you probably have a Buckmark and the mags you got are the wrong ones or improperly made.

Peter Gun

Mags

RAE- Thanks for the pics. Mine is the middle one, the micro in blue. The two mags that came with it look like the "shoeless" mag on the left, but they don't look like the ever had any thing else attached. The one I bought seperately, looks like the 3 on the right, but when I tried it out the shoe would keep it from going far enough in to lock the mag release. I didn't think to look if the shoe was removeable. I'm going back to that shop this week so i'll take a look. Thanks for your help. Maybe I got a def mag or maybe there's an in between model. Do your "shoed" mags look like you can take the shoe off easily? I'll have to try it.