Buckets Rust Stains

Marco Califo

I use plastic buckets in reloading to hold brass, and sometimes projectiles.
This photo is of a bucket that stored 308 165 grain FMJ with had steel jackets under copper flashing. They sat in this particular bucket for several years and the rust stains shown developed and stayed.
I have tried cleaning the stains with Evapor-Rust soaked overnight, No effect.
I poured in a Calcium Lime Rust remover product soaked overnight, No effect.
I do have citric acid powder on hand. I do not know if that would do anything.
I do not understand why Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230616_112033.jpg
    20230616_112033.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 154

ballardw

Comet maybe? the stuff used to clean sinks, counters and tubs. Get the bottom damp and sprinkle some in and let sit for a while. Might bleach out.

Yeah, the rust got into the plastic. Most buckets are Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE), which can have a fairly low melting point (hot melt glues are usually a low melting point LDPE) and can absorb up to 0.1% water. That absorption has carried rust into your bucket walls.

If I decided I didn't want the yellow daisy camouflage pattern and didn't want it badly enough, I'd put some citric acid into the bucket, put on my protective face mask and gloves, and pour the bucket full of boiling water to see if that didn't swell it enough to let the acid get at the stain. There are also rust-removing laundry products you could try with hot water. Just be prepared that the heat could soften the bucket to the point it distorts or even soften it to the point of collapse, so you want to do this out on your driveway if you are going to try it. In the worst case, the hot acid solution will spill out and etch the driveway stones or concrete clean.

Marco Califo

Ok. Thanks. A new bucket is $5.
It was the why that bothered me.
These type of buckets can be melted to fix Coleman canoes.

akinswi

I wonder if lightly sanding the surface where the rust etched into the plastic would remove it. Kind of like when hard water etches into clear coat .

But replacing the bucket would be easier or buy a red bucket or coat the bucket in automotive wax to prevent the rust from etching into the plastic

Marco Califo

The rust stains have virtually disappeared after normal use. I have been using the bucket to mix MiracleGro Rose Fertilizer and water. After 10+ cycles the rust is almost entirely gone. And the roses are thriving.

Attachments

• 20231019_093701.jpg
    20231019_093701.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Then it sounds like that plastic was willing to swell just with the presence of water. The plant food pH may be acid, too. That's surprising but interesting. Sounds like you could fill it with water with a small splash of vinegar and maybe a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to serve as a wetting agent, cover it, and just wait a week or so.

jetinteriorguy

I believe we’re seeing history in the making here. The first thread in the history of the internet that hasn’t turned into an argument or gone down a hundred rabbit holes unrelated to the topic. Congratulations.

...And it demonstrated something I didn't think would happen and can tuck away for use in the future. It's a good run all around.

Plus, we learned yellow buckets might make good pots for growing roses. Just a few drain holes and…

44 AMP

Staff
Congrats on getting your bucket clean(er).

What does cleaning stains in a plastic bucket have to do with reloading, anyway??

:rolleyes:

Marco Califo

44AMP, That was mentioned in the first post. For remedial visual aids, I use that bucket to hold brass while processing large quantities:

Attachments

• 20231123_125859.jpg
    20231123_125859.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 8