Buck Mark Questions

Waspinator

Hi,

I'm itching to buy a semi-auto 22lr pistol, since I don't own one. I am still in the research stage, but I am focusing in on the Browning Buck Mark pistols.

I see that the Buck Mark pistols have different style grip frames and barrel/sight configurations. Is there any concerns or possible issues with choosing one type over the other? (future grip/barrel swaps).

Also, for those who own or have owned a Buck Mark pistol, how does/did it perform? Are/were you happy with it? how was the factory trigger?

thanks

10-96

I have 2 at the moment and have owned 3 others over the years that I have been talked out of. I have only owned the Camper/URX models. But, having said that, I don't believe you'd notice an appreciable difference in the function of any of them. They are truly a great pistol. The trigger is by far better than my Ruger MkII, and not quite as light as my S&W Victory .22 Target Model. Though heavier than the S&W trigger, it is a very short and crisp break and not at all unpleasant- I really like it. I was kind of amazed that I shoot the Buckmark better than the S&W. Maybe I haven't found the preferred ctg for the S&W, but I have tried quite a few.

Before life got in the way, I shot a Buckmark in our local bullseye league matches until I got a S&W Model 41. For the longest time, my scores were better with the BM until I got a feel for the 41 which took me quite a long while.

A lot of folks comment that the hex screws on the top strap of the BM back out, get lost, etc are a pain. I only took mine apart maybe once every year to year and a half for a good deep cleaning and have never had a problem over the years. Most of what needed cleaning on one was around the breechface and chamber area anyways. So, most often I only used a 20 caliber bore snake, a toothbrush, and a few q-tips and never really took the thing apart until it started feeling and acting sluggish.

ms6852

I own a buckmark and for years shot thousands of rounds through it. The firearm is a very reliable shooter and loves any kind of ammo I feed it. The gun if very accurate and I would highly recommend one. When I bought my buckmark I was also looking at the Ruger as my brother has one. Both firearms are equally accurate and the reason I chose a buckmark is because it just felt better in my hands, especially with the URX grips. If you go with a longer barrel the only downside I see is that the balance will be forward heavy. I just put a longer barrel on mine and don't like it as much, but that is any easy fix as there is only one screw to deal with and takes less than two minutes to exchange.
I recommend that you try a few different buck marks and see what feel you like best and go with that.

mikejonestkd

I have owned 4 buckmarks over the past 20 years or so, all slightly different models, and still own two of them.
At least one of them goes on every range trip, and they are excellent handguns.

My camper model had well over 120,000 rounds through it before I started having a few issues with the slide to frame fit, which resulted in miss strikes on the cartridge rim. 10 minutes on the phone with browning customer service and they shipped an entire new top end for the gun at no cost.

That's about as good as a rimfire handgun gets, and with awesome Customer service to boot!

Steve in PA

I just picked up a slightly used Buck Mark UDX this summer. Great pistol! I alread6 have a Ruger MKII but my local gun range was selling the Buck Mark, so I grabbed it.

Love shooting this gun. My wife and I go to our local indoor range every Saturday, where she either shoots her .38 snubbing or a Glock 9mm. But I’ve been shooting the Buck Mark!

If I get the chance, I plan on grabbing another Buck Mark!

NoSecondBest

I owned three Buckmarks at one time. All were the Silhouette models to begin with, but after several years of use and changing competition styles, they got "bobbed" or had another barrel put on them. Two of those guns had well over three hundred thousand rounds fired out of them over the years. Other than replacing buffers, recoil springs, or ejectors, I never had a problem with them. I never did a trigger job on any of them. The triggers weren't the best of any handgun I owned, far from it. However, they were still pretty decent. I used those guns to shoot silhouette competition for many years and won state and regional titles using them in International Class every year. In one competition at a major regional shoot I shot 9x10 shoot off targets (rifle sized chickens at 100 yards with factory sights) using the factory trigger. That record was never broken. I started shooting Sportsman's Team Challenge with those guns and cut the barrels down to six inches to use for speed shooting at steel plates. My team and I either won or placed at every shoot we entered and we all shot Buckmark handguns. We won a Super Regional match in 2001 using those guns and we beat several of the professional teams using our "bargain" priced Buckmarks. I have owned SW 41s, High Standards, and several other top rated rimfire handguns over the years and I've never owned a more accurate handgun or a more reliable one than the Buckmarks. Based on my experience I'd rate them at the top when all characteristics are taken into consideration.

FrankenMauser

Buckmarks are awesome.
Simple. Accurate. Reliable.

I have two.
One of them is sitting at about 132,000 rounds, and has never suffered breakage of any kind. I've replaced a few springs and buffers as maintenance items, and changed a few screws from slotted (old style) to hex ('new'-style); but that's it.
The other is around 80k-90k rounds. It broke a firing pin. Right now, I can't remember what I figure that round count was, but I think it was around 18k-20k. Regardless, the firing pin was broken for another 2k-3k rounds, before it got replaced. The pistol still functioned as intended, even with the broken firing pin.

Browning originally suggested removing the top strap, barrel, and slide for cleaning, so that's what I do. When I clean it, I tear them down.
But, they changed their recommendations when they went to the new style slide and firing pin block (circa 1999?), to just "open the slide and get what you can see".
So, you'll see people claiming both ways are correct. Both are wrong and both are correct. Different strokes for different folks (and time periods).

Since I do disassemble mine for cleaning, I keep a supply of washers and screws on hand. I've never lost a screw, but I torque the crap out of mine, so the hex socket does get slightly deformed over time. I replace them before it becomes an issue.

Oh... Another note on cleaning:
Buckmark magazines don't require much attention, but do benefit from occasional cleaning. I still have the original magazines for both pistols, plus some extras - the newest of which is from when the Buckmark rifle was released (2000?).
One of the original magazines had feeding issues and seemed like it was finally time to replace the spring. I ordered springs and tore the magazine apart, only to find that it needed nothing more than a good cleaning. They had occasionally been swabbed before, but never disassembled for cleaning.
A proper cleaning is all that magazine needed. But I do have some spare springs, now...

There should be no issues with choosing one grip frame over another. But if you think you may want to change grip panels at some point, it would be worth checking to see if what you want is available for the grip style you're looking at.

One benefit of the Buckmark, versus the Ruger Mk series (and 22/45), is that the grip frame is the serialized part. You can swap barrels to your heart's content, and it's no big deal.
The Rugers are the opposite, however. The receiver is the serialized part. So each "barrel" is actually the firearm. Shipment, transfers, possession, and storage of Ruger Mk and 22/45 'barrels' needs to be handled like any other firearm.

A downside to the Buckmark is that integrally suppressed barrels are less common and generally more expensive than those available for the Rugers. If you want to use integrally-suppressed barrels, the Rugers are the better option. If you want to use suppressors and don't mind screwing one on to a threaded barrel, the Buckmark options are still more limited but there's plenty available.
If you don't want to deal with suppressors, then it doesn't matter.

tallball

My Buck Mark is my most accurate handgun out of many. I got it used for around $300 a few years ago and have shot it a LOT. I shoot every kind of cheap ammo out of it with no problems. The only kind it ever didn't like were some very pointy hollowpoints.

My only complaint is that the hex screws on the top will loosen up occasionally. A little bit of clear nail polish would likely solve that problem. The next time I take it down all the way for cleaning (which I only do about once per year) I will apply some.

They are great pistols. After my shooting buddy shot mine with me at the range, he bought one for him and his daughters to shoot within a week. Mine is every bit as accurate as my FiL's Ruger Mark II.

David R

I bought one from NoSecondBest. Its as accurate as he says. I have a 2X scope on it now. My girlfriend shot Hunter silhouette with it last year and scored a 19. I WAS IMPRESSED. Shoots all kinds of ammo. I used it for Bullseye until I got my High Standard Victor working properly.

I also bought a new 4" standard URX and put a red dot sight on it. She shoots Bullseye with it using CCI SV ammo. She likes it because its light compared to the other one. I shoot steel pins with it using CCI mini mags.

I replaced one ejector in the last 5? yeares.

My daughter has a PLUS UDX with a red dot sight. She shoots Bullseye with it.

David

Northrider

My Buckmark was my first semi auto .22 and I love it. Since purchasing it a whole bunch of years ago, the only thing I have done to it, other than cleaning, is to put a fiber optic (HiViz) front sight on it a couple of years ago. It has had no issues, goes bang every time--provided the ammo is not junk--and almost always goes to the range with me. I have other semi .22s but still partial to the Buckmark.

jmstr

The barrels, slides and magazines are interchangeable in types- only the grips are not interchangeable- is my understanding.

I found one that I 'had to have'- and I do. I like the Buckmark, but 1 is enough for me. I have multiples in Ruger and High Standards.

To be honest- I recommend the Buckmark to people I know as the best value: price, plus quality of trigger out of the box, and later changes.

My Buckmark has only needed a sear spring flip to give it a sub-3# trigger- and it is CRISP!

I also installed a Browning brand trigger with overstravel screw-which removed overtravel.

Interestingly, it also removed almost every hint of 'takeup' in the trigger.

If I were selling it to an average user, I'd change the spring back- to about 4-5#s.

I feel that the lack of takeup/overtravel and the lightness of the trigger require more presence of mind to shoot than, say, my Ruger MK series [with full volquartsen parts].

Barrels are easily swappable. The downside [if that] to Buckmarks is the small number of aftermarket parts- compared to Rugers.

I think grips, sights, sight rail/bridge and trigger are about it- and there aren't many trigger options.

Ruger MK series has enough parts to gut it and start over [as I did- Hammer is only OEM replaceable part in it].

However, in my opinion only, the Ruger NEEDS that type of change to do what the Buckmark does out of the box [in my experiences].

Good luck!

warnerwh

I bought a Buckmark after owning 3 different Ruger MK series and wish I had tried one sooner. The trigger is much better than a Ruger and it fits in my hand better. After putting a Burris Fast Fire III on it the fun has quadrupled. Having a red dot sight for my aging eyes makes shooting much more enjoyable.

WanderingSol07

I bought a Buck Mark Black Medallion last summer. I enjoy shooting it. Been shooting at plastic 12 oz Coke bottles from 20 yards with about 2" of water in them. Hit in the water and the bottle goes about 8' in the air!

Manual recommends no disassembly for cleaning, means you have to go from the muzzle to the chamber with your bore cleaning. I do that first, then clean the chamber area last.

jmstr

Re: cleaning.

Browning directions of not removing slide is non issue to me.

If you DO remove the slide, you still can't use a cleaning rod from the rear/chamber end, as the frame 'pillar' sticks up at the rear and blocks a straight line on the chamber.

Due to this design there is simply NO point in removing the slide to clean the barrel.

Either do what WanderingSol07 listed [clean from muzzle end], or use a bore snake.

However, you can't get a pistol/rifle cleaning rod down the barrel from the rear even if you DID remove the slide, so why bother?

Of course, once every 1000-2000 rounds it is good to remove it and clean the powder residue from under the slide and from the frame. But, you can't do the barrel any better with the slide off than you can with the slide on.

Non-issue to me.

BTW, this is my only .22lr that this is true for. All the rest, if you remove the slide you will have a straight shot with a cleaning rod at the mouth of the chamber and can clean it 'properly'.

I am unfamiliar with any other pistol with this 'Buckmark block' to rear cleaning. Anyone else know of one?

FrankenMauser

Browning directions of not removing slide is non issue to me.

If you DO remove the slide, you still can't use a cleaning rod from the rear/chamber end, as the frame 'pillar' sticks up at the rear and blocks a straight line on the chamber.

Due to this design there is simply NO point in removing the slide to clean the barrel.

Either do what WanderingSol07 listed [clean from muzzle end], or use a bore snake.

However, you can't get a pistol/rifle cleaning rod down the barrel from the rear even if you DID remove the slide, so why bother?
Eh?....
If you're removing the two (or more) screws necessary to remove the slide, there's only one more screw necessitating removal to get the barrel off. Why do it half-baked?

On the half-baked note...
If removing the slide, the best way to do it is to remove the rear screw from the top strap, and the underlug screw that holds the barrel in place (which were Browning's original instructions from way back in the dark ages, before most members were born). That way, the top strap remains fixed to the barrel and does NOT screw up sight alignment. The top strap comes off with the barrel, with sights unmolested.

Anything that requires cleaning can be taken care of with the top strap (or rail) still attached to the barrel and sight alignment untouched.
The top strap (or rail) never needs to be removed from the barrel, unless repairs or modifications are being undertaken.

jmstr

Eh?....
If you're removing the two (or more) screws necessary to remove the slide, there's only one more screw necessitating removal to get the barrel off. Why do it half-baked?

On the half-baked note...
If removing the slide, the best way to do it is to remove the rear screw from the top strap, and the underlug screw that holds the barrel in place (which were Browning's original instructions from way back in the dark ages, before most members were born). That way, the top strap remains fixed to the barrel and does NOT screw up sight alignment. The top strap comes off with the barrel, with sights unmolested.

Anything that requires cleaning can be taken care of with the top strap (or rail) still attached to the barrel and sight alignment untouched.
The top strap (or rail) never needs to be removed from the barrel, unless repairs or modifications are being undertaken.

You know- I NEVER even thought of popping the barrel off. It is easy- but just never 'clicked' with me.

I don't know why- the High Standards from 101-107 required the barrel to come off before you could remove the slide, so it isn't like it was unheard of for me to do it.

and leaving the topstrap attached to the barrel is also a great tip.

Thank!!!!!!

Prof Young

Buckmark Contour 7.25

I own the Buckmark Contour 7.25. With a scope on it, off a sandbag, at 25 yards I can shoot 1/2 inch groups all day long. Have not tried it at longer ranges. Guess I need to do that.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Waspinator

Well,

Went out today and went to several stores to handle some 22lr pistols. I kept an open mind and looked at not only Buck Marks, but some Ruger Mk IV pistols and even the S&W Victory.

Have to say I wasn't a big fan of the Ruger Mk IVs, which is saying something since I'm a big Ruger revolver fan (own several SP101's and GP100's). The triggers were... not good on them. I did not want to have to spend money right away on a trigger upgrade, so I passed.

The Victory was actually pretty nice. But I didn't like the grip much, so I put it down and tried a bunch of Buck Marks.

After handling a bunch of them, I decided on the Buck Mark Field/Target Micro. I liked the grip (no finger groves to force my hands into an unnatural ,for me, hold). I also liked the balance of the gun. While the longer barreled versions were very nice, I found them to be too forward heavy for me. The short barrel balanced out very nicely and it felt the most comfortable. The front iron and top rail were very nice (I don't prefer FO sights).

I'll have to get myself to the range this weekend to test it out.
https://www.browning.com/products/f...vailability/buck-mark-field-target-micro.html

Thanks for all the info!

jmstr

Waspinator- Congratulations!

I read your post and became happy for you and sad for me.

If I were to buy one Saturday or Sunday, I couldn't go to the range with it for 10 days.

Enjoy. I think you made a good choice.

SGW Gunsmith

Over the years I've worked on quite a few Browning Buckmark pistols, but have never owned one as a personal .22 pistol. Just never bought into what I consider, the "hype", involved with the Browning Buckmark pistols.
While the "Medalist" is a very nice lookin' pistol, I always felt it should've been much more accurate than the expense involved.

A couple of years ago, the Buckmark Contour showed up in their catalog, and my interest in this version got me going, so, one soon arrived in the big brown truck:

qrO2j44l.jpg

This is a well made pistol, and as soon as the white stuff turns to green, I want to get some various brands of .22 rimfire ammunition run through it. Only thing I did replace, so far, is that aluminum gold trigger. Instead, I now have a stainless steel trigger with an over-travel stop screw.