Buck Mark ejector ... ever replaced one?

dogfood

My old Buck Mark Bullseye (circa 1996) has got ... I don't know ... 20K through it, maybe? It's been very reliable to this point, but now I'm running into one or two FTEs per box.

I've got it apart and the tension on the extractor is good. But the ejector is rather wobbly. It moves enough that it drags on both the top and side of the clearance slot in the breech face. Apparently this has been going on for a while, as there's a wear pattern on the ejector itself.

So I'm thinking a new ejector is in order - and I have a new one on hand. But how do I get the old one out - and then the new one in? None of the schematics I have show this level of detail. The ejector appears to sit in a slot, where it's subsequently staked. Is that all there is to it?

Does anyone have firsthand experience with this?

Again ... I need help with the ejector ... the stiff wire that hits the cartridge in the butt when the slide moves back. The extractor (aka claw) is fine.

Thanks,
dogfood

Carriertxv

I just looked at mine and ejector wire is tight but I’ve had to tweak it a little a while ago. Like you said it is staked and I would think you either need to move a little metal to get it out and then stake it after installing new one. Probably use a small screw driver or similar to pry it out.
Have you tried rimfirecentral?

David R

I have changed a broken ejector. It’s a wire that fits in a place. The gun needs to be taken all the way apart. I did it on a 90s gun. I am a mechanic it still took some time. No prying or drilling needed. It rotates into place. I think it is on one of the pins along with other things.

David

FrankenMauser

I believe the ejector is retained by the hammer pin (which retains just about everything important in a Buckmark).

I've never changed one. Several Buckmarks in my family.
My own pair have over 210,000 rounds through them, combined. Other than "maintenance" parts (springs, buffers), there's been nothing but one broken firing pin - in the lower round count pistol, and the broken firing pin still functioned for thousands more rounds.

dogfood

Thanks for all the insights ... and yes, I did go to rimfirecentral (where I got even more insights).

So, figuring it hadn't been stripped to the bone for quite sometime, I did that. Now it appears that ejectors are not all the same on all Buck Marks (not a surprise, as it seems like everything else changed at least once along the road).

My ejector is definitely staked - and there's no cross pin that holds it in (too far away from the hammer pin). And while wobbly, it was not going to come out without a struggle. And swaging the staked material away from the slot is quite problematic, as the working part of the ejector is right above the slot.

What to do? If I was sure the current ejector wouldn't work (or was on its last legs), I would have cut the exposed portion off with a mini cut-off wheel. Then I would have devised a tool to swage open the slot enough to get the rest of the old one out. At that point I'm betting installing the new one would be straightforward.

But I punted. I restaked the existing ejector and rebent it to just clear the slot surfaces in the bolt. All of that is easy to do when the guts are out of it.

Hopefully that works long term (I already know it works with empties in the basement). If not, I have a plan B - and now I know what I'm facing.

Thanks again,
dogfood