BT-99 Shotgun

Bullrock

I started shooting trap about 3 months ago with a small Winchester pump. Bad idea. For the past month I have been shooting with a Winchester SX2. There is no known shell catcher for the Winchester until April, and that damn rubber band is driving me crazy.

One of the members of the trap club showed me his BT-99 today. I liked the feel of the gun (I didn't have a chance to shoot it). I also liked the simplicity. Put a shell in, shoot, take the shell out. In checking with my dealer the current conventional BT-99 comes with a fixed full choke and I can purchase new for about $1,200.00. I can't afford a Beretta or anything fancy.

I want this to be my LAST shotgun. I'm too old to become a trap shooting champion. Can anyone tell me if this is a good decision and if the price is right.

Much Obliged

kudu

That's about the going price, maybe a bit high. You may want to check at Jaquas http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Search.asp, or http://www.gunbroker.com

You may want to check into a used or even new Remington 870 Trap gun., again Gunbroker.com or jaquas. Maybe you will shoot trap doubles sometime, it's a blast. Go to Jaquas and select Trap from the catagories list and 12ga from the calibers list and what brand you want.

NGP58

Bullrock, I see you've found your way to the BT99. Now your hooked :D I replied to an earlier post of yours that I bought a BT99 Stainless 32" barell angle ported with Browning hardcase for $950.00 about four years ago. It also has an adjustable buttstock and Invictor Plus chokes. $1,200.00 for a standard model dosen't sound too bad. Have you asked your gunshop to try to find you a good used one for less? They're an excellent gun I love mine and don't plan to sell it. I know several people who want to be "first in line" if I ever do. You know that if you do buy one you're still going to need another gun for "doubles". Enjoy!! Norm P.

Bullrock

Ngp58

I am steadily progressing, I hope. I went to my dealer today. He told me he was having difficulty finding a new BT99, but he had a used one on consignment for $795. It looked allot used. Right next to it was a used Browning Citori Trap 12/30 that looked allot new. I think it's an older version of the current Citori XL Trap, but without the silver & porting.

It fit my shoulder, I bought it, $1,200! :rolleyes: I hope to be able to shoot it tomorrow, weather permitting. :)

What do you think NGP58 (thanks for your help) and everyone who wants to post a reply. I need all the help I can get!!!

Much Obliged

NGP58

I think that you got a pretty good deal! You stated that you wanted one gun,now you have it. I've shot Citori's before, they're a nice reliable gun. Now if you want to shoot a round of doubles, you can. Give it a good workout and let us know how you made out. Good luck, Norm P.

kudu

Congratulations on your new used gun. :) That should serve your needs quite well and give you the option of doubles.or maybe even skeet Does it have choke tubes or fixed chokes?

You are going to give us a range report aren't you?

Bullrock

Fixed Tubes. That's the only thing I don't like about this shotgun. Regarding a range report, I'm not much of a trap shooter, yet. I haven't broken more that 14 in any round so far (2 1/2 months) Any improvement I will owe to the shotgun. I'm shooting Sunday, weather permitting, and if I can get out of bed in time.

There was no manual with this shotgun. The dealer told me it was a 12/30. I found out today that it's really a 12/32. I guess that's good! That sucker is heavy. Best I can figure, close to 9 Lbs.

Thanks for all the help and interest.

NGP58

Just take your time and be patient, you'll improve. Remember that it's only a game. I've seen people that get themselves so upset that they can't instantly master the game and end up quitting. If there was one thing I didn't like about the Citori it seemed very muzzle heavy to me. My first trapgun, a Winchester 101 o/u is very balanced. I know a few people with Citori's and they absolutely love them. Just stick with it Bullrock,you'll get better. Norm P.

SmokinTom

The BT99 is a good 16 yard gun butt not worth a poo-poo for handicap targets because they shoot to low.You will find yourself shooting under riseing targets at handicap yardage. You have to cover the birds to break them,NOT good. Find a gun that doesn`t shoot so flat.The BT-100 shoots higher and costs more butt its worth it. Check out Jaqua`s Fine Guns web sight and see what they have on hand.I have 9 trap guns now,and only kept the guns I can break targets with. Good luck in your new shotgun sport.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Here's the deal about 16 yard singles shotguns.

First, more weight means less kick. It also means more inertia helping to keep the swing going. Since stopping the swing is pandemic, this is a partial answer using hardware to solve a software problem.

Second, a fixed choke works if it's the right constriction to optimize the pattern at the range YOU break the birds at. A bit of experimentation and some time at the Patterning Board will reap a big reward. Since one has to do the same with a tube choked shotgun, it's not extra work.

32" is short for a SBT shotgun. Many run 34" or more. O/Us can run up to 34" also.

Most trap fiends like a high shooting shotgun. 60/40 is minimum, some of the big guns go 100% high. A bit of experimentation here here with some moleskin or cardboard on the comb can indicate what works best for you now.

As you progress, best fit may change. Periodically you should repattern just to see what has happened.

HTH....

Bullrock

My new (used) Citori XT Trap

NGP58 and all others who helped me. I was at the Trap Range and shooting at 8am today with my new (used) above captioned shotgun. I shot 4 rounds of trap, and what a blast. What a trap gun! I think I'm set for life.

I found the shotgun to be very easy to use. By the end of the 3rd station, I felt like a pro. I didn't shoot like one tho. I found that when I concentrated, I hit pretty much what I wanted to. I seem to have periods when I become tired and lose concentration. And the weather didn't cooperate much. It was around 10 above zero with a stiff breeze from right to left.

4 rounds is allot of activity for an old fart like me. Anyway, the beginning of my 4th round I hit the first 7 out of 8, then I lost concentration and forgot some of what I have learned recently. I did shoot a PB of 17. If the range was open tomorrow I'd be there. I'll have to wait until next Wednesday.

In between rounds I watched a shooter with a Red Winchester auto. After each shot he'd fiddle around with that damn rubber band (shell catcher). It made me glad I purchased that Citori. I think we will get along pretty well in the future.

Many thanks...