BSA Jet ?

Drm50

Picked up BSA Martini, small cadet type, Aussie issue. .22 cal, some type of
wildcat built on 357 case. In Ohio we have new rifle deer season, limited to
min. 38 cal, or bigger, with straight rimmed case. Thinking of rebarreling to
375 Win. Anybody had experiance with this action. It's a pretty little rifle worth
a barrel job, I only got 50 bucks in it, nobody wanted wildcat.

CarJunkieLS1

If the rifle was originally built as a .22 rifle I highly doubt it would be able to handle the pressure associated with center fire rifle cartridges.

Geezerbiker

The action is very strong but also small. You could make it a .357 Mag but it's a bit on the short side for a .357 Maximum. It can be done but feeding and ejection can be problematic. The Aussies came up with the .222 rimed just for this rifle and they handle the pressure jut fine.

If you go with anything much larger in diameter, you'll likely get a barrel bulge just past the threads. The frame is just too small to screw in a barrel large enough for rounds like the .375...

These are great rifles and very desirable in calibers like that. If you want something else, you could easily sell it and get a larger caliber rifle...

Tony

Jim Watson

Agree with Geezerbiker.
There were some simply rechambered from .310 Cadet to .32 Winchester Special but that was really a stretch for the small Martini.
It will handle .357 Magnum just fine and maybe .357 Maximum.
I don't know if you could even get a .375 Win "around the bend" into the chamber, and if you could, the barrel shank is too small for full loads.

natman

You got a heck of a deal, the action alone is worth a lot more than $50.

The "22 wildcat" does sound like the 22 Jet. I'd advise leaving it as is. If you can't find a use for it, sell it to somebody who can. It's plenty strong, but a bit small for any of the straight walled 38 caliber+ cartridges that would be suitable. Even if you could shoehorn a 375 in, recoil would be brutal in such a light rifle. Sell it and get a good 375/444/45-70 lever action.