Browning X-Bolt hunter Long Range

kilotanker22

Eo ai have wanted one of these since Browning announced them last year. With my birthday last week my wife told me to buy one if I could find one.

Lucky for me I found one in 308 Win. Overall really nice gun. I think it could have been a little nicer for $1,100, but still pretty nice. The adjustment for the comb having a hexbolt instead of a small knob is a little annoying, but also there is no knob in the house at of the classic look at his rifle has.

Shoots really well too, factory Hornady ammo shot right about MOA out of the box. With 4 shots touching and one about .75" away. I figure loading will be easy if it is already shooting factory stuff that well.

I really wanted a Leupold VX5 HD for this guy, but need to work a few extra hours b fore I buy that. I put a Bushnell Engage Tactical 3-12 on top of Vortex Pro Rings(Lapped of course) and put those on top of a Warne 20 MOA base. After sight in, I have 45 MOA of elevation adjustment available ((The scope only has 50moa). And I have another 25 MOA of holdover... I figure this will easily get me to the max effective range of th cartridge so I don't need anything more.

Overall Very pleased with the Browning. The glass bed job is not badly done as ai have seen said on this forum in the past. At least min is don pretty well. It is no custom job, but I believe is plenty effective at accomplishing it's goal.

I will post some photos later, but my camera sucks

NHSHOOTER

kilotanker22, Congrats on being able to find a rifle to purchase in these trying times. Being a xbolt owner myself I dont see where you wouldnt be happy. I will say the trigger could be a bit better. Switched mine to a Timney..

kilotanker22

kilotanker22, Congrats on being able to find a rifle to purchase in these trying times. Being a xbolt owner myself I dont see where you wouldnt be happy. I will say the trigger could be a bit better. Switched mine to a Timney..
Average of ten pulls on my Lyman digital tool shows 2 pounds 9 ounces. Highest pull was less than 3 pounds. I am happy with the trigger for a dedicated hunting rifle.

The trigger itself is pretty genius I think. I don't feel any movement before the break and very little past the brake. Probably one of the best factory triggers I have used.

NHSHOOTER

I should add that I bought my xbolt about 5 yrs ago when they first came out with their feather trigger, glad your happy with it, possibly they improved it..

Scorch

I like the Brownings, they generally shoot very well. Only thing I don't like about them is the dearth of aftermarket parts to upgrade them.