Browning/Winchester 1885 Highwall

joshua

Need inputs on accuracy and reliability of the 1885 Highwall. My research in this subject tells me that the falling block is the strongest action around. I don't know very much about these rifles, but to my observation the forearm stock is more likely attached to the barrel making the barrel not free floated. Is the forearm stock mounting in the same category as the TC Encore/Contender and Ruger 1 that can have an effect to accuracy? Please educate me on what your inputs about the 1885 Highwall. josh

mete

They are fantastic .Mine is a Browning 1885 in 45-70, made in Japan by Miroku ,barrel is made here by Badger Barrels. The forend is mounted on a hanger attached to the receiver so the barrel is free floating . They are accurate [easy 1" or better with factory ammo] , very strong [at least as strong as the Ruger #1],reliable, excellent adjustable trigger....There are the originals which were made by Winchester as their Single Shot in many different cartridges over a 50 year period. There are also various copies .John Browning designed the original . The Browning design is a bit different in forend and lock work but is well worth the money.

jakerudy

The Browning B-78 & High Wall are great rifles and I think you have to spend a lot more money to match their accuracy and finish. I have a .22-250, .45-70, and .45-90 BPCR and am impressed by all of them. Just bought a .270 Winchester that I won't be able to pick up until October.

jrt_ms1995

Agree

I agree with the other writers. I've a Browning 1885, in .270 Win., I bought new in the mid '80s. Very attractive, very accurate. Mine has a 26", or 28" (I can't remember) full octagon barrel, and carries a 2.5 x 8 Leupold. I've used the rifle for shooting crows with handloads with Hornady 90 gr HPs, and in long range (600 yd) any-rifle, any-sight high power matches with Federal Premium 150 gr. factory loads. I won the falling block rifle division of that match easily. Of course, I was the only shooter using a falling block rifle and created the division in my mind later. :)

GON2FAR

Owned a 1885 Browning 7 Mag some years back, it would consistantly print 1/2" groups with several handloads, and we're not talking easy-stepping target grade loads either. Talk about a strong action, this gun was spitting out 140 gr. bullets at well better than 3200 fps (keep in mind, 28" bbl, don't go out and try to equal that in a 7mm Rem Mag with a 24"er, at the very least your primers will hate you :D ) Anyhow, should the opportunity present itself again, I would snap one of those up so fast it'll make the shop owners head spin.