Browning T-Bolt

Harry Bonar

Sirs:
I have a Browning, Belgian made T-bolt that has a few rust spots on the outside of the bbl. Bluing is very good but I wonder if it would ruin the rifles value to reblue the bbl? What think ye?
Harry B.

gsmith711

t-bolt reblue

yes it would hurt value to reblue.guns value is based on original condition.if the rust is light take some #0000 steel wool put a little gun oil on the rust and rub lightly,it will take the rust off and leave the original bluing.make sure its #0000 4 ought.

Scorch

Harry-
The old Belgian T-Bolts are very much in demand by collectors, and the new T-Bolts are just as good or better than the older ones. Personally, if you just want a shooter, I would see if there is some eager soul who wants to trade a new one for an older one. That's how I got my Ruger MkII Government Target Model (traded for an old low-serial # Mk I).

Harry Bonar

T-bolt - sad story

Sirs:
The T-bolt is a Belgian, unalterd. I had to crank the scope (two of them) over left about as far as the adj. would go and about two feet high!
Bore was perfect and when finally sighted in it shot very close to a one hole group.
However, I wanted to remedy the scope problem. Changed mounts, no joy! Changet scope - no joy! :mad:
So I chuck up in the lathe to - yes check crown! the bbl. on this Belgian beauty was out about a good 3/32! The bore was out visually!
Yes, so I got a 22LR reamer in the muzzle ( it was burred) and corrected the crown by a slight counterbore - reamer described a circle run out anout 1/16"!! Put it back together and scope was now centered in field and shot a 1 hole group! (very close).
Fans of "Belgian" craftmanship ought to take note!:eek:
I'll take good old American craftmanship. with its problems , anyday to "Belgian" butchery.
Harry B.

SIGSHR

You may have a rifle with one of Browning's infamous salt stocks. My T-Bolt
came with one, within 2 years of my buying it I had rust on the action and over half the finish on the stock peeled off. I intend to get a Boyd's stock, perhaps refinish the old one on the off chance that I may sell it. Some T-Bolt owners havae said that thet refinished their salt stocks with good results.

Wildalaska

We just restocked a Tbolt, those little sweeties RULE!!!!!

I have the new version coming in, PLUS those evil germans at Blaser now make a 22 RF conversion for your Blaser stock at about $1600 each....:eek: bastards!:D

WildhaveyouhuggedyourartodayAlaska TM

Harry Bonar

Wildalaska

Hey Guy!
If I wasn't so old I'd love to see your shop in Alaska. I'll bet its a rea life-style!
I'd bring my 416 Taylor and the 9.3X64 and see if I could see grizz!
Have a great life up there WILDALASKA!
Harry B.

Kitgun

I have the misfortune to own one of the "infamous salt wood" T bolts. What the story with these self disolving guns anyway? I got the thing in about "75" & for maybe 3-years all was fine. Then one fall I got it out for small game season and its rusted. I have gun re-finished and for several more years its just fine. Then the thing blossoms out in the most amazing coat of rust ya ever seen. I've cleaned it up and its still very accurate and as long as I store it disasembled corrosion is not a factor. I did speak to the folks at Browning about this and they claimed never have heard of such a problem. At any rate these would be great little guns if they did'nt sort of oxidize themselves into oblivion

SIGSHR

As I understand it someone at Browning either came up with the idea on their own, or bought from a supplier without asking, but they bought stocks
that hadbeen treated with a salt process to speed up the drying time. Needless to say some of the salts remained in the wood and were tough on the bluing. In addition to rusting the action the finish on mine started peeling
about 2 years after I got it.

Kitgun

SIGSHR

Thanks for the Info. I guess this sort of makes a case for synthetic stocks. At any rate its a shame to have this happen to such a classic/collectible little rifle.

absolute0

I've got a late 60's lefty T-Bolt that thankfully, didn't have a saltwood stock. I sure feel for the guys who've experienced the associated saltwood corrosion problems becuase these are truly wonderful little rifles.