Browning Pro-9

Bullrock

I just purchased a Browning Pro-9 for carry. I've been all over the Internet looking for a leather holster for it. I even called several of the more popular holster retailers (Galco, Hume, Safariland, etc.) and they don't have anything, and I'm told that they are not referencing the Pro-9, Yet. So I called Browning to ascertain the Pro-9 frame and all CS could do is tell me the Pro-9 is neither a large frame nor a compact handgun. Big Help! The Pro-9 is 7 1/4" in overall length with a 4" barrel. I figured it may fit in a Hi-Power open holster. It's the same width, the barrel is 3/4" shorter, and the overall length is a half inch shorter than the HP.

So I figure it may sit down in the holster a bit but with an open top and a tension screw, it might work. But then I may be figuring wrong.

Does anyone on the Firingline have any information. HELP!!!!!

Sir William

AFAIK, 1911s, BHPs, FNs, FMs, FEGs, Charles Dalys, Detective conversions and quite a few others all use/fit 1911 holsters. I carried all the above and a EAA Witness 45 ACP and a VIS-35 in Galco horsehide. IWB open is my choice. The only problem I ever had was in fitting FOBUS holsters, they are fitted to only one firearm. I couldn't carry a shorty Springfield Armory Ultra and a Llama and a Government all in the same holster. Kydex has the same problems in fit. I suggest a Commander 1911 holster in a natural material.

datasmith

The Browning Pro-9 is cut very similar to the Sig Pro 2009. The Sig Pro 2009 is also a 4" barrel, and is just slightly longer in overall length to the Browning (less than 1/4" longer). You migh try a holster for the Sig Pro series.

datasmith

Also the Ruger P95 is another 4" barrel 9 mm with the same overall length and similar cut. But the Browning also has that pesky little accessory rail which squares the bottom of the dust cover. My CZ 75 P-01 has the same problem...for that matter my P-01 is yet another 4" barrel 9 mm that has even a closer profile to your Browning. I went with a leather holster for a CZ 75 Compact. The leather was forgiving of the fat, flat bottom accessory rail.

You can go to my handgun database at my link below and compare your Browning gun profile against other manufacturers. Just click on HANDGUN SELECTOR and select 9 mm Pistols, any manufacturer, and sort by overall length.

Bullrock

Sir William, DataSmith, thanks for all the help. I'm looking at a DeSantis Holster, Speed Scabbard, 3 slot, open top. They don't make that model for the Sig. and they are not clear on which CZ-75 model they support. That leaves the Ruger 95 which looks like a perfect match on paper. But as you noted DataSmith, the Pro-9 has that pesky little accessory rail. I went to the Ruger website to get the width of the 95 model and they don't list it.

If anyone knows the width could you supply the measurment? The Browing Pro-9 measaures 1 3/4" in width from the top of the front site to the bottom of the accessory rail. I may be a little long on that measurment. What a great site DataSmith. I have it bookmarked it for future referrence.

Much Obliged.

Bullrock

I forgot, what else is new! I have a cheapy soft holster from Uncle Mikes, Sidekick, size 16 that is a pretty close fit. My Pro-9 is too heavy to carry it with. If it was leather, it would work but needs a little more heigth to cover the top of the trigger guard, otherwise it's a really good fit. Do all holster MFG's use the same size numbers?

Much obliged

Bullrock

DataSmith

With allot of help from your website I ordered a speed scabbard (open) holster for a Walther P99 from DeSantis. The P99 is 1/4" shorter (overall) than my Browning Pro-9, but the same barrel length. It arrived today and is a perfect fit. The muzzel is even with the open bottom of the holster and the top is also perfect. Now all I have to do is break this sucker in.

Much Obliged :D

Tom2

Keep us informed

Put up a posting about how that thing works for you. I had one of the related
FN DAO models(no factory support at all, no answers!) in .40 cal and I decided it sucked. That was my last .40. Think I will stick with the calibers on either side of it. Hot loaded 9's and big heavy .45's. Wonder if Browning made something more shootable out of that FN design. Mine was an ex-cops gun and he hardly used it-apparently he decided something, anything else was better.

Bullrock

Tom2

Thanks for the reply. I live in Maine where GunSmith's are few and far between. The dealer I purchase from is about 15 miles away and he employs an excellent GunSmith. I guess I will have to depend on him rather than Browning support.

My eye tells me this a quality pistol. I broke it down to oil it. I will take it to the range for the first time Sunday, and if your interested, I'll let you know how it fires. I really don't think it's going to disappoint!

Sir William

I'm interested! I CCW a BHP MKIII in 9MM. I have wondered about a DAO 9MM. S&W and Bersa were what I was considering. If the Browning PRO-9 is good, well, I like Brownings.

Tom2

FN website

After I got the gun I went to the FN USA website. They apparently were only aiming at the LE and Military markets. Unlike the Browning people. Could not get any satisfaction or answers about the gun, no parts, no mags, they did not want to deal with consumers, I guess, just big accounts. Keep that in mind when seeing the blurbs in the gun mags for the new FN mil/LE long guns and stuff. Browning has to stand behind their stuff to US private owners I guess. Wonder what they would say about my FN hi power since it says Browning nowhere on the gun?THe FN49 plastic wonder seemed to be inaccurate, even for a .40, to me, and the DAO pull didn't feel real bad dry firing, but felt like a ton when aiming at a 25 yd. target. The Brownings are DA/SA, I gather, so perhaps better.

Bullrock

Sir William, I've been here long enough to realize you mostly know what you're talking about. I think the Mark III is a great gun to shoot. I carried the Pro-9 today for the first time and it concealed well and felt great in a belt holster. I was concerned about moving my carry from a Glock 26 @ 19Oz. to the Pro-9 @ 30Oz. Not a problem, and your Mark III while being larger weighs only 2 Oz. more. I don't know much about guns other than the ones I own, and what folks tell me, so check out the Browning Pro-9. It does look and feel like Browning quality. And, Oh yeah, Tom2, it does say Browning Arms Company, Morgan Utah on the barrel. DA/SA with decocking. Shooting it tomorrow, then I'll know for sure.

Tom2, If the Pro-9 doesn't fire well tomorrow, I'll be suprised. You do raise a good point concerning the FN. Being the owner of a Pro-9 also has it's drawbacks because it's only been out for a little over a year. My gun came with 2 10 cap. mag's. Big deal! Browning has 16 cap. mags. Try to find one on the Internet. Monday, I'll have to call my dealer to special order a couple from Browning. Also, It seems as tho the Internet Stores never update their website stock. You can find the Pro-9 on the Internet, but it's difficult. What I can't find are accessories. Most online stores have all kinds of stuff for the Hi-Power but zero for the Pro-9. I expect that will change in time, but for now it's a reality. Thank you for the info...

Colt1903

My experiences with the Browning Pro - 9

While browsing for Christmas presents on December 22nd I noticed a pistol at Sportsman’s Warehouse that I had not seen before. It was a Browning Pro – 9 chambered obviously, for the 9mm cartridge. I had been interested in a new 9mm and was handing the Salesman back a couple of SIG pistols when I saw the Browning resting on the pegs in their wall of handguns. I asked to see the pistol and the Salesman professed that they had just received the Brownings and knew nothing about them. Upon closer observation it was apparent that the pistol’s take-down level was copied straight off the SIG design. This is a traditional double action design and upon racking the slide and pressing the decocking lever I realized that the hammer came down in two stages, again, just like the SIG. The salesman then field stripped the pistol (it seemed only right to have him do it as I didn’t own the gun….yet) and it was obvious that the recoil spring was copied from Glock.

The pistol also features interchangeable backstraps, much like the Walther polymer pistols. The one installed, as pictured in figure 1, is arched while the supplied replacement gives the grip a straighter and more slender grip. It also appeared as if the pistol could be carried cocked and locked. After the slide has been retracted you push the safety-decocking level down to decock the pistol and then all the way up to place the weapon on safety. Although the manual does not address condition one carry, the safety seems to engage just fine by leaving the hammer cocked and pushing the safety lever into its upward, locked position.

Before making any decisions on the pistol I wanted to go home and do some internet research. I found no reviews. The Browning website itself is devoid of much information. Even my revered Arizona gun connection had no knowledge of this pistol either! This from the man that, whenever I am considering a gun, mentions he has several versions of them in his safe, which I envision as a kind of Noah’s Ark Arsenal with two of each species. All I could find in rummaging around cyberspace is that the PRO – 9 is the civilian version FH Herstal’s FNP – 9 which is made for the military/law enforcement market and is virtually the same as the PRO – 9 except that it sports a complete matte black finish as opposed to the matte stainless slide on the civilian pistol.

Based upon the lack of information I headed back to Sportsman’s Warehouse the next day to purchase the pistol. Why? Three reasons:
1. The price was right. Now while this is important we all know that sometimes you get what you pay for. However, there were two more reasons to validate this purchase.
2. The features which seemed copied from other pistols came from manufacturers which produce great firearms.
3. The Browning reputation. The Browning name usually means quality and I just didn’t see them putting their name on a pistol that didn’t work well.

Well, what did I get? A great pistol. Using a two-handed, standing hold at 21 feet, 9 out of 10 rounds went into a 1.5 inch group just to the left of center. The ammunition used was 100 rounds of Winchester white box 115 grain FMJ, and 100 rounds of Universal 115 grain FMJ, in all 200 rounds of flawless performance.

The pistol is very accurate, although there was one flyer per magazine which was the first double action pull that dumped the shot low. This is undoubtedly an operator problem as the double action pull is neither extremely heavy nor extremely long.

The single action pull is a thing of beauty. It is very light and I would actually consider it to be of target quality. I may need to drift the dovetailed rear sights over to the right but the combat accuracy of this pistol is just fine the way it comes from the factory.

The magazine holds ten rounds and the manual states that sixteen round magazines are available to law enforcement. I can only hope that the manual was printed prior to the sunset of the high capacity magazine ban and that the sixteen rounders will become available to civilians. There is also supposed to be a .40 caliber version of this pistol on the horizon. I will probably have to add that one to the collection as well. In the meantime…I got one up on the Arizona gun guy!

Bullrock

Thank you, Colt1903! I love this pistol and you just verified my satisfaction with it. ditto's on the "The single action pull is a thing of beauty".

Browning CS advised the 16RC mag. is available to the general public, but have been sold out. I have been all over the Internet looking, no one seems to have them. Would you let me know if you find any?

Much obliged,