Browning Pigeon Grade 12 Gauge BPS

Bilbo56

Does anyone know what the difference is between a regular Browning BPS and one that is Pigeon Grade? How much would a new Pigion Grade shotgun cost? Thanks.

JWT

The BPS isn't manufactured in a Pigeon grade, or at least there is none listed on Brownings site.

Bilbo56

JWT, I couldn't find it on the Browning web site either but I did see a picture of a Browning BPS in Pigeon Grade. I was thinking about making an offer on the gun but wanted to do some research first. What is the big deal about Pigeon Grade because I sure don't know? Thanks very much.

zoomie

There are Pigeon Grades on the auction sites. There are several BPS models. Do you know which one your "regular" was? My guess is that it's cosmetic. Walnut stock, gold accents... My Mossy Oak BPS is pretty plain jane - I doubt there are any internal differences as long as they both have chokes, the same chamber/caliber, etc.

JWT

Pigeon Grade is usually a designation for a gun with more engraving, fancier wood, gold inlays, etc. The 'mechanical' workings are generally no different between the various grades - only aesthetics (and cost).

Bilbo56

Thanks for the great comments, I sure appreciate it. I think you guys are exactly correct. The "Pigeon" I saw on the auction seemed to have minor cosmetic changes on it. (Yes, walnut stock and some gold colored detail.) I don't know if I will bid on it or not. Thanks again.

BigJimP

The "pigeon grades" were often special order models from Browning, usually ordered by one of the bigger dealers since Browning would usually not make a special run unless at least 25 guns were ordered. Sometimes they were ordered as "presentation pieces" and given as gifts, etc.

Like others told you, it's the same internal components as the BPS made at the time, and they will have some significant engraving on the receiver, trigger guard, etc. and an upgrade of wood - but based on whatever the original order was. If you can get a serial number Browning can usually tell you when they were made.

I have a pigeon model - BT 100 - there were 200 made for a dealer in the midwest, each one separately serialized within the series of 200 ( mine happens to be # 90) - a lot of gold inlay, very pretty gun - but the one I have has very "plain" wood but that's how they were ordered. Very collectible, especially if unfired ....