Browning or Savage

kst8fan

I have my 270 choices narrowed down to the Browning X Bolt Hunter, and the Savage 114 American Classic. Both have a walnut stock, and are very close in price(Browning $30 higher). I guess what Im asking, can I go wrong with either of these models? If you have any expierence with either, Im looking for info. Thanks

Last edited:

Orphanedcowboy

Browning, period

Not that I don't like Savages, but I love Browning's.

It will really boil down to personal preference, either one is a good choice, but you will need to figure out which ones ergonomics better suits you.

Yankee Doodle

I have both the Browning and the Savage.
Browning:
Looks much better
Higher trade in value
Slightly higher in cost
Savage:
Costs less
More accurate
Better trigger
If I could only keep one, the Browning goes.
Just my opinion.

Marquezj16

I have the Browning X-bolt in 270. Sweet rifle, bolt is silky smooth and it exudes quality. Definitely one of my keeper rifles.

Nothing bad to say about Savage, well except for they don't appeal to me.

gman3

Savage

I have both, the Savage is more accurate and has a much better trigger. The Browning A Bolt that I have had the worst trigger I have ever used, but is otherwise a nice rifle. A replacement trigger spring solved the trigger issue on the Browning, but the Savage will most likley be GTG right out of the box. I understand that the X Bolt has a better trigger than the A Bolt, although I have not tried one for myself.

kst8fan

Ok thanks this helps. More then likely I will buy the Savage 114. They just seem to be very well made rifles.

Saltydog235

I got all kinds of rifles but my go to area couple of Model 10 series Savages. Much better accuracy and trigger than the Brownings I own. In fact the Brownings are quite unremarkable in about every aspect.

xwe666

I would go with the Browning.From what I've read and seen with my own x-bolt the accuracy should be top notch,the trigger is also very good.

oneoldsap

Savage/USA

If I'm comparing guns for purchase , I prefer they be American made and incorporate no Plastic in their construction . So It's the Savage for me , just on those two criteria ! Not to mention triggers ( Brownings suck ) and the Savage 14/114 series of rifles are the best looking rifles Savage has ever made , especially the Euro versions !

Lemmon

IMHO I prefer accuracy over looks. I have the Browning X Bolt in 30-06. Looks great but not as accurate as a Savage....

Lemmon

Fusion

This would be a tough one for me as these are two of my favorite brands. I like them both and it depended on what I wanted. If I wanted a rifle that wouldn't see much use, and had decent accuracy, that would hang on the wall looking nice, or I was concerned with the absolute best resale I'd probably go with the Browning.

However, if I was going to really use it, and wanted the best accuracy I could get, one of the best factory triggers out there, a company that offers amazing customer service, and everything else with possible a tad bit less resale value, but also cheaper from the start, I'd go with the Savage.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong as they are both great rifles. For me ultimately I'd probably end up with the Savage, but I like the Browning too. I'd see which one fit you the best.

Kreyzhorse

You really can't go wrong with either one. Personally I wouldn't trade my Savage 110 for 10 Brownings. It's reliable and scary accurate.

Pick the one you like the best and feels best to you. If you do that, you've made the right choice. $30 over a lifetime doesn't mean any thing and resale only counts if you sell it and if you chose the right rifle the first time, you won't sell it.

rambilt

Yeah, Savage all the way for me too!!! Accuracy of the rifle is what makes anyone shoots better!! Savage will do that to anyone...