Browning Lever action rifle

Gunplummer

I was just goofing around on Gunbroker and went through the BLR section. 600+ guns, most new, and about 5 bids. Most of the bids were on used guns. Do you think Browning will drop the lever gun soon? It may be an area thing, but I only remember one guy that owned one. I never worked on one.
Most of the new guns are starting around $800. That is a lot of money for the ugly duckling of lever guns.

T. O'Heir

"...starting around $800..." MSRP is roughly a grand($1019.00 on their site. $1499.99 at Cabela's for the 'White Gold' BLR.) Retail prices vary from place to place ,of course.
Don't think Browning will dump the BLR as long as people keep buying 'em. Can't think of any other lever action that comes in the array of chamberings. From varmint cartridges to the silly magnum cartridges.

Gunplummer

When dealers dump on Gunbroker, they start off at a rock bottom price. There are not a half a dozen bids on over 600 guns listed. Where are these people that are buying them?

Rangerrich99

I bought one about 30 years ago after high school in .308 win. Apparently I got a pretty good one (some have complained about the triggers and accuracy). Took many deer with it out to just under 200 yards. I sold it for some unknown reason, and have regretted it ever since. Especially since I bought mine for $265 (I think), and now if I want to get another one, I'm going to have to spend around $800.

I was surprised to find that Browning still carried BLRs, and that they even have expanded the line to include new calibers and even a takedown model, so I don't think they're going away any time soon.

If there's a real downside to BLRs IMO, it's that there aren't a lot of smiths that do trigger work for these guns. Other than that, I really liked my BLR for short range/brush hunting, and I'm seriously considering getting a new one.

Deerhunt

I have a pistol grip blr in 243 that I got a year ago for $1200 with a scope,case,mounts, and a couple boxes of ammo

dgludwig

I always thought the '81 version was very attractive. Not an ugly duckling at all.

All in the subjective eye of the beholder. Personally, I think every BLR ever made is ugly. However, and way more importantly than one man's idea of beauty vs ugly, Browning has never made a firearm that wasn't well-made and well-finished; exhibiting the very best of material and workmanship. I like them all-except the ugliest of ducklings. :)

Pahoo

Falling out ot love !!!

I have only owned one, a .22-BLR and it lasted, less than three month, in my safe. Range-time did not go well. I can't speak for the other calibers. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

jackstrawIII

Glad to see this thread. I've been planning to get one in 358 win for some time now, just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyone have a BLR in 358 win and can speak to how it handles that particular cartridge?

Doyle

Browning has never made a firearm that wasn't well-made and well-finished

If you want to get really accurate - Browning never made a firearm at all. They have always been a "brand" - not a "manufacturer". Their firearms were always produced at various contract factories according to their specs. I think that distinction is kind of blurred now with their current owner though.

Gunplummer

I think a lot are Japanese made now. You can't beat that for quality. I just don't understand how a company can keep pumping out a rifle that hardly anyone buys. Maybe I am wrong, but Gunbroker is usually a pretty good indicator.

Last edited:

Husqvarna

Ugly duckling of levers?

those are fighting words!

The BLR is THE best leveraction rifle ever built

My 308 was very accurate, but the thin barrel would heat disperse after just a few shots fired, but the first two, three were great, could have been that the barrel was shot out

Easily carried, light, nimble and shoulders nicely

changed mine to a 358win with a pistolgrip but I actually care more for the straight stock

358win is good up close hunting put a hurting on the game thou

dgludwig

It may be the "best", but that doesn't make it pretty. And as far as being the best lever-action rifle ever built, my vote goes to the Sako FinnWolf.

dgludwig

They're fugly and I don't like the short lever throw or the way the trigger comes down with the lever.

With your dislike for short lever throws and triggers located inside trigger guards, you must not care for the Winchester Model 88 lever-action rifle either. But at least the fine Model 88 isn't as "fugly" looking as the BLR, I think you might agree.

Husqvarna

the finnwolf and win88 look like boltactions with a lever

if I wanted that look I would go for a savage99 but they are not very common here.

dgludwig

the finnwolf and win88 look like boltactions with a lever

if I wanted that look I would go for a savage99 but they are not very common here.

Yeah, the FinnWolf and model 88 one-piece stocks do give them a sort of bolt-action "image". The Model 99, of course, has a "conventional" (in lever-action speak) two-piece stock; giving it a more traditional look. One of my favorite rifles for hunting whitetail deer in Pennsylvania and Michigan is the Savage Model 99 "Brush Gun", chambered in .358 Winchester.

amprecon

Quote:
Ugly duckling of levers?
those are fighting words!

My 308 was very accurate, but the thin barrel would heat disperse after just a few shots fired, but the first two, three were great, could have been that the barrel was shot out

Easily carried, light, nimble and shoulders nicely

changed mine to a 358win with a pistolgrip but I actually care more for the straight stock

358win is good up close hunting put a hurting on the game thou

BLR straight stock in .358win is gonna be my next rifle!