Browning HP and +P

FireForged

I was wondering if the Browning HP 9mm and the Glock 23 will stand up to +P or +P+ ammo. I have owned both pistols for years but have yet to try the +P loads.

Hard Ball

I don't know about Glocks, but my Highpower which is so old that it fought on both sides in World War Two will accept any 9mm round I have ever tried in it including ammunition loaded for submachine guns.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
The BHP manual doesn't specifically say it's rated for +P+ but that it is designed with substantial safety margins for all commercially available US ammo.

Chad Young

As for the Browning Hi-Power, depends on how old it is. If you have a WWII-era unit, I would recommend against it. Newer units, I would ask your gunsmith.

As for the Glock 23, that is a .40 S&W pistol. There is no SAAMI-recognized .40+P loads. Consider the way a Glock chamber works, I would not shoot it with anything but standard pressure loads anyway.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I've been an HP shooter for about 3 decades and the steel in the newer pistols is better for warmish loads. That said, I have a '71 HP that's been shot regularly for years with warm handloads pushing 124 gr bullets in excess of 1200 ft/sec and have encountered no breakage, etc. Be advised that continued, hard use of any +P or hotter load will accelerate wear. I routinely replace all of my HP recoil springs with Wolff 18.5 lb conventional springs. Best.

------------------

FireForged

Stephen.. Where can I get a couple of these springs? I would feel better knowing that I have a couple of spares. It is really hard to find info around here.. The guys at the local gun shop are not a very personable bunch.

[This message has been edited by FireForged (edited December 27, 1999).]

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, Fireforged! BK40 has given you the correct address and information concerning Wolff springs. Go with the "conventional" rather than the "variable" as the former is better with warm loads according to Wolff. I've relied on them for years and have not been disappointed. Best and good shooting.

Hal

I have a 2 year old Hi Power. The only time I tried Cor Bon's in it, the front sight broke off at the base. I returned it to Browning for repair, offered to pay for it since I was using +P ammo. Browning said any commercial ammo should work, and replaced the sight under warranty. I figured it wasn't doing a gun I really like any good, and since the stuff is expensive, I just stick to standard loads.

BrokenArrow

BHPs work fine with NATO spec ammo, and some of that hits pressures up to 43K psi, though most is around 38.5K Psi, which is still higher than SAAMI +P (up to 37.5K psi).

------------------
>>>>---->

pluspinc

It is never a good idea to beat a good gun to death trying to get extra performance out of it. If a standard 9mm won't work maybe you should look at a .38 Super or other increase in power type gun.
I have had many HP's and clones and have fired a lot of hot handloads in them without complaint. The HP just seems to be a 9mm gorilla which is a tribute to J. Browning. One thing about HP owners, they almost always LOVE thier guns.
I have often carried a HP for duty work with no concerns for performance and reliability. It seems that even my cheap HP clones will use the cheap high cap mags with no problems, something we can say about other guns.
If you use factory +P loads you shouldn't have any problems.