Browning HP 9mm

neal bloom

Just picked up a Browning Hi Power in beautiful condition. It is truly a work of art and functionality. Now that Nirvana is close at hand, what recommendations does the TFL community have on feeding it?

Saturday at the range can't come fast enough.

cobraman

Feed it FMJ for now. Is it older or a MK111? My older 1982 Hipower does not like gold dots but will feed FMJ and HyrdaShoks all day long. Congrats and Welcome to the BHP owners club. You are in some highly esteemed company now.(Not me I am just a peon) People like Indiana Jones, Stephen A. Camp, Axel Foley to name a few are Hi Power owners:)

FPrice

My 1977 Hi-Power seems to like WW Silvertips best. I think you should buy a few of the most popular rounds and try them to see which shoots best in your gun, then stick with that choice.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Backwoods

HiPowers are great! Feed it FMJs for the break in and then try several different brands of hollow points to get an idea how it's going to function. My own P35 is an older FN marked gun with the 1911 style extractor(roughly pre 1970, IOW) and it prefers bullets that weigh at least 115 grains, the shorter 100 or 90 grain types won't feed reliably from the magazine. Silvertips and 124 gr Hydrashoks are my usual ammo of choice. I've never tried any of the 147 gr stuff, it doesn't impress me as the most effective stuff for defensive ammo. That's a subject that is quite controversial and you'll just have to make up your own mind which is best for you. Enjoy your new pistol, you bought one of the best!

Don in Ohio

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Enjoy your new HP; they are grand...at least to me.
Not knowing if you have an older or newer HP, I recommend the following:

Shoot some standard velocity ball to check function and get used to the gun. (I like PMP as it groups out of HPs and clocks only 1120 ft/sec with its 115 gr bullet. It's cheap and the cases reload OK.)

If it works fine with ball and you want something with a bit more horsepower for defense or for popping small game, the
standard velocity 115 gr Federal JHP (9BP) has a roundnose ogive. It gets a bit over 1100 ft/sec, has a good "street reputation" and generally groups well. I'm partial to the same company's 124 gr Nyclad HP, which gets about 1100 ft/sec with this nylon coated hollowpoint. In most of my HPs, this load groups very well. Neither will abuse your pistol. The fastest standard pressure load I'm aware of is the Winchester 115 gr Silvertip @ approx. 1200 ft/sec.

If your HP is a newer MkIII, I'd sure consider +P for the times I wanted to send the best! I routinely replace the factory recoil spring with a Wolff conventional 18.5lb recoil spring and use shokbuffs from Buffer Technology. These, in my view, limit or prevent long-term excessive wear. Loads I use in these guns include CorBon's 115 gr +P JHP at about 1380 ft/sec or Triton's 125 gr +P JHP @ about 1245 ft/sec. My guns really group with this latter load.

Best.

jar

I've found that the BHPs need a very specialized feeding ritual, often neglected to the sorrow of their owners.

Here bees the rule

Feed it lots and feed it often

If you follow that one rule I believe you will have many hours of enjoyment with your new little one.

Hey, what's the serial number?

Dave R

The defensive ammo that groups best in my BHP clone is the 124Gr. Golden Sabre. Also likes Gold Dots pretty well. YMMV.

RickB

I've tried three different bullets shapes/weights, and haven't found one that works all the time. Long, pointed bullets work best in my gun, but I have yet to go more than 50 rounds without a failure to feed, using four different mags. Maybe a little more break-in is in order, as I've shot only 400-500 rounds. My current load (this week) is a 124gr bullet - FMJ, JFP, RNL - over 4.2 of Winchester 231.

skevlar

Feeding recommendations? I'd "feed" it right to Jim Garthwaite, Kurt Wickmann, Don Williams, Art Leckie or Teddy Jacobson for at least their basic Reliability package, trigger job & Novak's, Heinie's or BoMars if it did not have the "current" MK III sights.

neal bloom

I appreciate all the advice and recommendations. Where is the best place to buy extra magazines? Is there a big difference between the 13 rd and 17 rd magazine?

Skevlar, how do I contact these gunsmiths?

Once, thanks for all your help.

beemerb

I just bought a hi power last week.I know zero about them(my first one).What I do know is mine was made in 1974 and has adjustable sights.Is there anything I should know about it?What model is it?
Picked it up for 200.00.Hasn't hardly been shot much but has a lot of blueing gone on the front and rear grip straps.