Browning Hipower question

patrol

I have heard that if you deactivate the "magazine" safety in the Hipower it makes the trigger a bit smoother. Is this true and how would you remove or deactivate the mag safety?

AirForceShooter

It completely changes the trigger.
It become smoother and lighter.
There are a numer of posts on how to remove the magazine safety.. Just google it.
You won't believe the difference.
Cavat:
a few self-defense experts have said removing the mag safety could be a problem if you use your weapon in self-defense.

My .02, Take it out.

AFS

Daedalus

I'm not exactly sure how (as I haven't gotten my BHP yet, should be this thursday or friday!) but I know you have to remove two pins.

The first holds the trigger assembly into the frame (drive the pin out from right to left).

Once you get the trigger out, you must drive out another (smaller pin) that holds the Magazine Disconnect in. Once that pin is out, you can remove the plunger and spring. Replace the pin.

Put the trigger into the frame and you should be done.

Check out: www.hipowersandhandguns.com and www.hipowertalk.com for more detailed instructions. If you're serious about BHPs then you should also invest in Mr. Camp's Hi Power Assembly Guide (found at www.hipowersandhandguns.com)

darrentxs

One of the pins can be seen on the trigger itself. For appearance only I didn't want an empty hole in my trigger. I re-installed the pin after the mag safety linkage was removed.

Keep the parts & be sure to disclose the removal on the sales receipt should you sell it.

My .02

tex45acp

Another plus to taking out the magazine safety is it will then allow the magazine to drop freely when the release button is pushed, otherwise the newer BHP's have a spring at the base of the magazine to aid in ejection. You should notice a substantial difference in trigger pull weight and smoothness with the mag safety removed.

tex45acp

patrol

Thanks guys, such quick responses make this forum the best. I have an armorers kit and I think ill take a whack at it. I love a smooth single action semi and hope it makes it smoother.

Pilot

Some say replacing the 26 lb. mainspring with a lighter spring also helps, but I forget which lb. spring is used. 18 lb.???

patrol

screwed

did exactly what Silvanus said to do reffering to that 1911 forum on the Hipower with pics and now it wont fire at all. Dont know what I did wrong. I guess Ill try and get it back the way it was atleast. I might need to call one of you guys, this is ridiculious

patrol

Ok, I got it back and working. What i think happened was the small retaining pin that used to hold the spring and the mag disconnector wasnt seated all the way flush and the trigger wouldn't fully rotate and fire the pistol. I know this because i just popped it out so it's hollow but it now works great. Yes the trigger is much smoother and the mags fall free