Browning Hi Powers. What's your setup?

MosinM38

I was just curious who all carries Hi Powers (Or, just has one), and if so, how are they set up?

Holster, ammo, type of Hi-power.

I am asking because I am going to be slightly switching my Hi-power setup.

I had never worried about it before, as I primarily been carrying my Sig 226 in .40. However recently I've carried my Hi-Power as I have a shoulder holster for it, and not one (yet) for my Sig.

I've been using a stock Argentine Hi-power, loaded with Fiocchi Extreme 115 grain XTPs. It's a good setup, and would still work okay, however, #1 I'm running low and can NOT find any more 115 grain Extreme ammo.... since I'm down to 55 rounds (Including the magazines and chamber), I figured I'd switch over to something else.

I've been doing reading and it looks like as long as it is LIMITED exposure, +P ammo would be acceptable, especially if I get a 18.5LB spring.

What I was planning to do:
Get a 18.5LB Spring for it.

Get a few hundred rounds of +P Speer 124 grain gold dots (I will test for reliability, however the thing feeds semi-wadcutters so I am not worried) and then be set.

I was deliberating on whether or not to get a set of three-dot sights for it (and having a gunsmith install them), but I don't know if it's worth it, considering it's a 50 year old pistol. I was also deliberating on adding an extended safety lever, however don't know if I want something that is extended and might get swiped off easier.

I was just curious as to how anyone else has customized them, if they've added the 18.5LB spring, added a buffer, new sights,etc.etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

Here is my latest aquisition. It is bone stock so far and I plan to keep it that way. I have an HBE holster on order for it.

SDC11619.jpg

I have had one it the past though and I used standard pressure Speer Gold Dots so I would not have to mess around with the recoil spring.

I have not put much stock in the 3 dot sights in the past but since I got my HK P7, which has 3 dot sights, I have grown to like them and would consider them a worthwhile investment.

I dont know how much buffers help but I use one in 1911s and Hi Powers.

An extended safety of some kind a worthy investment I think. Aftermarket safeties can be easier or flick on and off yet harder to accidently get flicked off.

Teuthis

My Hi Powers have the mag safeties removed and triggers smoothed. Otherwise they are stock. I don't like light triggers.

MosinM38

I am a big fan of 3 dots.

You notice how fast you can sight and shoot AND in group size in shooting my stock sighted RIA and dad's 3-dot Springfield. I mean my RIA will shoot the groups, it's just a great deal easier (And faster) with 3-dots.

I guess I dunno if I NEED +P ammo. But I dunno. I'll see how it looks.

Keep 'em coming :)

HorseSoldier

Mk III with various mods, mostly done by Cylinder and Slide, including Novak sights, a C&S extended combat safety, stippling on front and back strap and a slight service melt (plus a trigger job and some other assorted work on the internals). Edit to add -- Aftermarket grips by Esmeralda.

I'm not overly particular on ammunition -- it runs fine with any JHP I've tried running through it.

When I carry my High Power, I've got an IWB and OWB holster for it from Andy Arratoonian that I use. Don't carry as much as I used to -- my wife discovered she likes my High Power more than her P2000SK, and so it's more or less become her EDC, leaving me to get by as best I can with 1911 ;).

HighPowerMkIIIS.jpg

Last edited:

Cliff47

Combined an FM frame with an FN slide, low-profile sights with Tritium inserts, had an extended manual safety installed, kept the magazine disconnect, replaced the spur hammer with a commander-style rowel hammer and replaced the slide release with a Pachmyer unit. Added a set of Spegel thin grips in cocobolo.

The first gunsmith I took it to tried to install the sights with an off-square dovetail cut that was patched with epoxy, necessitating replacing the entire slide. A second gunsmith(now retired) corrected the situation.

TJH3781

I have the following:

BHP-40, with separate top ends for 357Sig & 9MM & a 22 Conv. Kit
BHP-30, 30Luger, Safe Queen as it is NIB (still has the packing grease on it)
FM, Detective Model with SFS from Cylinder & Slide
Indian Arms, 9MM built like an Inglis, but has an FN Slide for better sights
Project Frame, bare Browning with slide that is waiting to be completed.

I use a Kramer OWB Holster.
All have after market sights, generally XS.
All have Navidex Black Micarta grips.

MosinM38

Thanks for all the replies!

Alot of nice Brownings out there. I figurd with all the plastic and 1911's, there might not be many in use anymore.

I'm looking over sights and extended safety levers...hmm...I think I might turn that ol' beater into a nice gun. And that WILL be good considering how nice it is now :D

velocette

Mine is a Mk III, .40 S&W. Its been fitted with a Bar-Sto barrel, Cylinder & Slide hammer, sear & trigger, Wolff springs and had the mag disconnect removed. Also, all the internal moving parts have been de-burred, smoothed & polished where appropriate.
Reliable, accurate and oh so good in the hand.

Roger

mavracer

older made in belgium model it's had the mag safety removed and the hammer spur ground down.I've installed an ambi safety and a bar-sto barrel.I had it cut for the novaks and had a bar-dot nightsights installed although that was a while back and they've grown dim.I also had about a quarter inch welded and blended to the frame to eliminate hammer bite.
SANY0138.jpg

It's carried (very infrequenty I might add) in a Bianchi 19L with 147gr Ranger T-series.
SANY0136.jpg

Last edited:

RickB

I have a Mk. III, stock other than the Spegel grips. Mags are the South American/South African 17-rounders available from CDNN. I shoot it in IDPA and USPSA competition occasionally, and use a Bianchi Askins Avenger holster intended for a 1911, and a double mag pouch from . . . Ted Blocker? The gun mostly rides around in my car with me, stoked with Corbon 125gr JHPs. My gun has a decent, 6# trigger, and the one thing I'd change, is the sights. I don't like 3-dot sights, so I'd swap them out for a Heinie rear and a fiber-optic front.

Rembrandt

Use several combination's, same Bianchi holsters......basic carry unit is a 9mm. Also use another frame that can be changed out to use a 40, 9mm, or .22 cal slide. For formal occasions the Renaissance gets carried. Grips are by Esmerelda.

bhp.jpg

BHPMulti.jpg

Img_1445.jpg

MosinM38

Some nice looking guns out there.

Well I think I got an idea of what I am gonna set mine up for.

First I'll install an 18.5 LB spring and buffer, make sure that works (Baby steps you know :D Don't change it all at once!), change out the safety lever, then maybe have a gunsmith install a set of 3-dots.

The past few days I've been practicing with my Browning and...

Before now I was always sortof indifferant to it. I mean I liked it, it handled good, but I mainly had gotten it for the history of the gun and being able to shoot cheap 9MM ammo.

But now the thing's growing on me:rolleyes: I think I'll hafta start carrying it more.

Cliff47

Forgot until just a couple of minutes ago, replaced the firing pin with a titanium one, and installed a Fire Dragon Dual Spring recoil reduction unit in place of the original recoil spring(may be the best $60 I ever invested in a weapon).

j frame

Deercop, I like that Hi Power! I just bought one two nights ago from a friend who bought it new fifteen years ago. It too is a MKIII with a matte finish. He added Spegel rosewood grips, Trijicon night sights that still look pretty bright, and our local gunsmith up here went thru it when he got it with new Wolff springs and such (even tho he cannot STAND Hi Powers.) The matte finish on this one is pretty darn bright; I've seen some that are so dull, they look military issue. I had forgotten how well they fit my average hand. I need a good left handed concealment holster for it if you know who can make one for a reasonable amount of money. I love the two tone finish on yours, though!