Browning Hi Power MKIII Returns from Mr Garthwaite

WVsig

So my MKIII custom job has returned from Mr Garthwaite's shop and am pleased at this point. The fit and the finish is amazing. The slide is smooth as silk. It glides. The gun had a complete trigger job using Garthwaite Tool Steel Commander undercut hammer, hard sear, and Garthwaite straight trigger. The trigger pull is at about 5.5 lbs, avg of 5 pulls on my Lynam digital scale, which is where I like them. I do not need a 4lb trigger on all my guns but I like a smooth clean trigger and that is certainly what I got here. The flat face of the Garthwaite trigger feels better than the C&S wide trigger on some of my other BHPs. I have the same trigger on my Lightweight which Don Williams installed for me.

The previous owner of the pistol had sort of buggered the magwell but Mr Garthwaite was able to bevel it and you would never know. There was also a small ding from where the mag disconnect was removed which is now gone. It has been reblued with polished flats and matte rounds. I might send it to Metalloy later once I know the configuration is set and everything is good to go. The Hogues look great although I am always temped to put Navidrex on all my BHPs. LOL ;)

It is a functional piece of art. It was well worth the wait and I would recommend Mr. Garthwaite, not that he needs my endorsement, for any custom work. This one is a keeper. So here she is. Have about 150 rounds down the pipe since its return. 100% function. Shooting 124gr Berrys plated bullets with 4.3gr of HP-38. It is dead on.

The sights are Heinie Slant Pro fixed sights machined for one hand clearing with a Garthwaite 10 Karat-.080 Gold Bead insert. The front and rear grips straps were stippled and he machined a border around the serial number. You can see the 40 LPI checkering on the rear of the slide and the slide top was flattened and serrated with 40 LPI.

Last edited:

WVsig

The Thumb safety is a thing of beauty. It is perfectly shaped and its operation is smooth. I love the C&S wide safety but this thing puts it to shame. I wish he would sell these as a stand alone product. I would buy one for every BHP I own.

I kept the factory barrel for reliability reasons. The barrels was throated, feed ramp was polished and extractor profiled. I also had the crown recessed to 60 degree and the barrel was made flush with the side.

g.willikers

Oh, that Mk3.
I was expecting to hear about a Ruger rimfire Mk3.
Very nice, nontheless.
HPs have always been one of my favorites, although I've never actually owned one - yet.
A couple of friends have let me shoot theirs from time to time, though.
They are so nice - my friends and the HPs both.
Enjoy, it's a beauty.

damienph

That is a beauty! I like the blue finish. I wouldn't send it to Metaloy unless this finish wears real fast.

How long was the wait to get the work done?

B.O.F.H.

Gorgeous gun! That sight picture is awesome. And keeping the factory barrel, good choices all around. Enjoy! And thanks for sharing the pics!

JDBerg

In my neck of the woods I've had the chance to see a few 1911's and BHP's that Jim Garthwaite had customized, and his work is the best I've seen!

1969Colt1911

I would need a gauge a scale a watermelon, to buy that gun! Completely awesome gun very cool. You have em worked often it sounds. I do like rework but takes away from pistol as much as it it adds I think. And drop in parts are just that, nice gun very cool.

Last edited:

JDBerg

1969Colt1911: said:
You have em worked often it sounds. I do like rework but takes away from pistol as much as it it adds I think. And drop in parts are just that, nice gun very cool.

Garthwaite did the right mods to that MKIII BHP, the sights & trigger are exactly what I'd want on mine, that's for sure!

1969Colt1911

Ok I bought a 1991 stainless many moons ago. It was a fabulous pistol from the start. I had a smith add a reliability(Wilson) and sights(Idon't recall). The most money back I have ever got from any of my collection. I am always fair in resale I don't cheat anyone. I would feel aweful, but you can't have my new babies.

WVsig

damienph said:
That is a beauty! I like the blue finish. I wouldn't send it to Metaloy unless this finish wears real fast.

How long was the wait to get the work done?

It took about 2 years to nail down a time when I could send it in. Mr Garthwaite and I could not line up the schedule. Once he had the pistol in hand it took about 6 months to get it back. It is my understanding he is currently booked until mid-2017.

1969Colt1911 said:
I would need a gauge a scale a watermelon, to buy that gun! Completely awesome gun very cool. You have em worked often it sounds. I do like rework but takes away from pistol as much as it it adds I think. And drop in parts are just that, nice gun very cool.

I would not refer to the parts that Mr. Garthwaite uses as drop in. They all require fitting and things like his thumb safety are only available on his custom guns.

I would go as far as to say there is really no such thing as a "drop in" part when it comes to the BHP. Sometimes you get lucky and something "fits' but most of the time you need to fit the part to the gun which requires some skill and knowledge of how the gun works.

meminind

What an absolute example of art! It makes mine seem like a long distance phone call, "almost like being there."