browning Hi-Power Mark III 9mm

Shadi Khalil

I have a cople questions about the Hi Power. Do they have a manual saftey? CAn they be carried C&L? How bad is the take down? Anything like a 1911? Also, I read a thread saying they have really bad triggers, true? Thanks.

Mannlicher

The Hi Power is a single action only semi auto pistol. The safety is in the same place, and works the same as a Colt 1911.
Take down is quite similar. It is almost intuitive.
The factory trigger has some creep, but many folks say that that trigger pull improves with the removal of the Magazine disconnector. I have found this to be true.

Yes, yes, not bad, and yes, quite a bit like a 1911 except the recoil spring is captive in the slide and lining up the pin is a lot easier due to the takedown-notch.

The triggers are odd, but not so bad. Mine has a springy take-up but breaks very crisply in the 10lb neighborhood. Heavier than my 1911s but usable.

Golddog

The safety has a very indistinct feel, which I found disconcerting. The mag safety had been removed from mine, making the trigger very nice. It was 100% reliable with every kind of ammo, and startlingly accurate. Mine had a beautiful finish, too, and small to medium hands would have loved it. My thin, fairly large mitts could never find a comfortable hold on the trigger, so I sold it, regretfully. BHP's are one of the truly magnificent guns.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
For all your Browning Hi Power questions - -

- - a very good place to start is at the web site of member Stephen A. Camp. It may be found here.

I've been proud to claim Steve as a personal friend, for more years than either of us likes to admit. :rolleyes: I'll vouch for his sincerity and credibility on any topic for which he ventures an opinion. He's been my Go-To Guy for Hi Power and 9mm information for a LONG time. His site also contains a wealth of information on other tylpes of handguns and ammo. When Mr. Camp writes up a Range Report, it is always good reading, and I can count on the information given as being totally objective.

I agree with Golddog about the factory thumb safety's indistinct feel. this can easily be cured by substitution of the Cylinder & Slide replacement safety. It includes a detent pin and spring which gives a positive click when going on or off.

The BHP is my personal choice of the 9mm service pistols. As a single action auto pistol, it requires a degree of commitment to properly learn and adhere to a specific manual of arms. I can recommend it to anyone who is comfortable with cocked-and-locked carry of the 1911 type, the Ruger, Colt, or High Standard .22 auto pistols. It would NOT be so good for someone firmly wed to the idea of double action, or especially DAO pistols.

Best of luck
Johnny

Guntec

It's a great 9mm hicap, that's the original one actually. Admittedly it's now rather obsolete, not having double action, and heavy for its size. It's still a classic and very durable.

gfen

I love my Hi Power, however I've only ever shot it twice: I have meaty hands, and I got bitten not only by the hammer spur, but pinched between the rear tang and the hammer's arm, as well. Its not fun.

Its a fantastic gun that fits my hands, its just that the act of shooting is painful. If you can try before you buy, so much the better...

Bill DeShivs

"It's a great 9mm hicap, that's the original one actually. Admittedly it's now rather obsolete, not having double action, and heavy for its size. It's still a classic and very durable."

The high power is not heavy for it's size.
Rather obsolete? Why does double action make a gun better? I think the current crop of D/A guns will be obsolete long before the HP!
Bill

RevolverLover

It's a great 9mm hicap, that's the original one actually. Admittedly it's now rather obsolete, not having double action, and heavy for its size. It's still a classic and very durable.

Just because the HP isn't a DA its rather obsolete? And the HP isn't heavy for its size, actually its weight makes it balance better than most semi-autos.

dogtown tom

gfen:
...I love my Hi Power, however I've only ever shot it twice: I have meaty hands, and I got bitten ...

Get one of Cylinder & Slides "No Bite" hammers. Then shoot that HP!!!

Guntec:
...it's now rather obsolete, not having double action...

Ehh, not obsolete if you prefer single action!:D Actually, my SFS equipped HP makes double action automatics obsolete. I get the same single action trigger pull for EVERY shot and when on "safe" the hammer is down.

Guntec:
...and heavy for its size...
Heavy 'cause it's made from real steel, carries as many as 17+1 and built to not have a kaboom like some well known "lighter" handguns. It is also VERY thin for a 9mm. Side by side with a Glock or Ruger you could make the comparison that one is a centerfold the others a cow. :D :D :D

HorseSoldier

I'd hardly characterize the High Power as obsolete, unless the 1911 is, likewise, obsolete. The single action trigger is, actually, easier to master than DA/SA, in my opinion, but much harder to idiot proof, which explains why other options are preferred for duty guns in many places (as evidenced by the number of law enforcement departments and agencies that have problems with guys carrying C&L'ed 1911s). That doesn't mean it doesn't work, just means it may not be the ideal choice for someone who only shoots their mandatory yearly or twice yearly qualification and otherwise considers guns distasteful, etc.

In the hands of equally skilled users, a BHP Mk.III will give anything designed since 1935 a run for its money.

Fremmer

small to medium hands would have loved it. My thin, fairly large mitts could never find a comfortable hold on the trigger

I gotta agree with ya there, Gold. I'd love to have one, but my hands are just too big. And adding a larger grip just wouldn't be right on such a sleek gun.

And +1 on the Stephen Camp suggestion. That guy knows his stuff.