Browning Hi-Power, I'm keeping the mag safety

headbangerJD

I've recently purchased a Browning Hi-Power and can honestly say that I've finally found my perfect semi-auto. But let me go ahead and get to the point of the thread. After acquiring the Hi-Power I planned on removing the mag safety because of everybody recommending it. Well, after shooting the gun the trigger was so crisp I started getting second thoughts about how much better the trigger could get by removing the mag safety. Then, after I've started to use this gun for HD use I finally realized that I would keep the mag safety intact. The reason being is because I lock up my HD guns on a daily basis whenever I go to work and pull them back out when I get home. The cocked and locked Hi-Power with its light trigger makes me a little nervous when I have to unload the chamber. I simply leave the slide safety on, disconnect the mag, and then remove the bullet.

Sorry for the long thread, but I seem to be one of the few who has decided to keep the mag safety intact and just wanted to explain my reasoning. After having an AD some time ago I've become a little nervous when unloading my guns.

ohen cepel

All personal choice. I took mine out since the trigger on mine wasn't very good.

If your trigger is good and you like it it's better to leave it in. Save you some hassle and gives you a little piece of mind.

amd6547

I have owned several BHP's over the years, and currently own a 1973 Belgian.
I have never felt the need to remove the mag safety on any of them.

longhair75

My BHP is a 1969 model, and In the twenty five years I have owned it I have seen no compelling reason to remove the magazine safety.

tjpratt

NuB ?

As someone new to Handguns and who is looking at BHP, what IS the mag safety, what does it do, how does it effect trigger pull.
Thank you for educating me.

divil

This thread might give you another reason not to use a modified firearm for defence

(summary: tinkering with the gun and or ammunition just gives "ammunition" to the prosecutors)

Brian48

I don't have a BHP any more, but when I did, I never felt the need to remove the mag safety. Was the trigger heavy? Yes, but it was also very crisp so I didn't mind.

Having shot a variety of weapons in the USMC, I was pretty used to heavy triggers anyway. So long as the break is clean and consistent, I can get used to a heavy trigger.

Last edited:

RickB

I've heard that the trigger can feel sort of mushy after removal of the magazine disconnector; it adds to the pull weight, but also affects reset. I have no real problem with it as a "safety device", though I don't think the gun is safer for having it, but I dislike that it generally prevents magazines from dropping free. Some mags have a sort of mousetrap spring to help with ejection, and that would be my preference for competition.
To the OP; if you're removing the magazine, why then unload the chamber when the gun is locked up? That is, with the mag removed and the thumb safety on, how can the gun really be any safer?

NWPilgrim

The mag safety is a spring loaded plunger near the trigger and sticking out into the mag well. The trigger impinges on a post in the slide that then lets the sear to release the hammer. All of these sliding surfaces can lead to a gritty and stiffer trigger.

You can either hone all the "linkage" surfaces or just remove the spring behind the mag safety post. Without the mag safety you have a pistol as safe as most other semiauto pistols such as Glock, XD, etc. It's personal preference and peace of mind. for me the trigger was hard and gritty and without the spring it was light and crisp.

I've never heard of an actual case in which the lack of a magazine safety lead to a liability judgment. If you want to safe your weapon when you are not around then lock it up. If you want it safe when you are handling it then apply the frame safety and/or keep your finger off the trigger. Always check chamber before pulling the trigger and keep gun pointed in a safe direction.

My understanding is that mag safeties were incorporated for law enforcement so if they get in a struggle with a suspect they can drop the mag and reduce risk of being shot with their own pistol. Not a likely scenario for most self defense civilians.

I can certainly understand not monkeying with a gun if you do not need/want a change or are not familiar with its functioning. A horrible trigger has its own risks.

B. Lahey

I have never felt the need to remove that doodad either.

The trigger is a bit odd, but I like it. The little bit of springy take-up before the fairly crisp break is kind of like a 2-stage trigger, which, having grown up on Anschütz target rifles, I prefer. It may be an abnormal trigger for a handgun, but I am a bit abnormal myself.:)

jaydubya

My t-series BHP, purchased in 1968 and carried on my Vietnam tours, still has its magazine safety installed. Lots of takeup, then a crisp release. I shoot it often, typically every week. All three of the magazines have shiny spots where the magazine safety shoe (my word) contacts them. No grit, no slop.

Cordially, Jack

Amin Parker

I have been carrying high powers for many many years and own 3. I keep the mag safety in place in case i am ever in the position to fight for my weapon. I can drop the mag and go for my backup. It makes perfect sense to keep it

Jo6pak

This may be a dumb question, but here goes...

How do you rneder the weapon clear if it has a mag safety.
Here's my sequence
1. remover the magazine
2. clear the chamber by retracting the slide to eject the chambered round

Now since the HP doesn't have a decocker, how do I drop the hammer if I can't squeeze the trigger and lower it?

B. Lahey

Now since the HP doesn't have a decocker, how do I drop the hammer if I can't squeeze the trigger and lower it?

I don't drop the hammer for storage.

You can keep an unloaded mag handy for this if you want to for some reason. The neutered 10rd mag that comes with some HPs would be good for this, I guess.

headbangerJD

varoadking

I definitely don't touch the trigger while unloading, but its so light that the smallest nudge could potentially cause a discharge.

jglsprings

I definitely don't touch the trigger while unloading, but its so light that the smallest nudge could potentially cause a discharge.

Then you have an unsafe weapon. If you drop the slide on an empty chamber will the hammer fall? If so, you need to take it to a gunsmith. The HP or the 1911 both can do this if the sear/disconector/grip safety spring may need replacing.

Last edited:

dahermit

The magazine safety on the Browning HP is an abomination. It is required to slide, as the trigger is pulled, upward against the front of the magazine. A magazine that may have dust and dirt on it. If I am on the range, I put a dab of grease on the spot (you can see the rub spot) where the disconnect slides to cut down on the friction. If I were to carry the gun in to battle or otherwise (I have no need to do that), I would not use grease but I would spray that area of the magazine with a dry lube like dri-slide or silicone spray. Or, I would disconnect it. However, my HP is just for fun and I do not plan on removing the magazine safety inasmuch as it is not necessary for my use of the HP.