Browning Hi Power delimma help me choose...

WVsig

So I am about to send a BHP to Don Williams at Action Works for a bit of custom work. I am looking to get the following done.

• Trigger Job
• Reliability Package
• Stipple Front & Rear Gripstraps
• Bevel Mag Well
• Smooth out Package
• Refinish and Sight in
• Harrison Wide Notch Sights W/ tritium inserts. Single front and back
• Your custom modification on thumb safety to make it extended.
• C&S Duty/Carry Type III Commander Style Hammer & Sear kit
• Jim Garthwaite wide trigger
• Refinish in Robar NP3 2 tone.

So the question is which base gun to use? I have a Israeli MKII.5, a LNIB Practical and a alloy framed Austrian Police gun. I am leaning towards the alloy frame because it would make an awesome carry gun and would be a true one of a kind once in a lifetime gun because there are so few alloys BHPs out there and my pistol is less than collector condition currently. Thoughts?

Izzy...

jew-power.gif

Practical

Practical-11.gif

Alloy

Alloy-BHP_zps03ea93b1.gif

rock185

WVsig, were I spending serious money on custom work, I would definitely use one of the steel framed guns with external extractor. I have alloy framed guns, sometimes carry them, but don't shoot them a lot. They are carry a lot, but shoot a little type guns for me. Perhaps because I have had one alloy framed gun crack (a Colt) seen two others (SIGS) and read of, and seen photos of others. Also, within my humble experience, the alloy frame slide/frame fit loosens with use as the frame anodizing wears away, wheras the steel framed guns just seem to get smoother. I have read the stuff about "I have alloy framed "X" pistol with 2.7 Zillion rounds fired that hasn't cracked, the alloy frame will outlast you, etc, etc. OK, maybe, but I still think the steel framed guns are more durable. That's where I'd spend my money.....ymmv

Pilot

Use the Izzy. The Practical, with the mag disconnect removed, and a 28lb mainspring will be fine as is.

WVsig

Yeah it is down to the Izzy and the Alloy. The Practical is almost too nice to use as a base gun at this point.

Longevity of the gun post customization is a consideration. The BHP is not the most stout gun in a steel configuration and there are not a ton of alloy guns out there so it is hard to know what the real life expectancy of the frame will be. I am going to ask Mr Williams his thoughts on expected round count.

WVsig

I am going to use the Alloy. I spoke to Mr. Williams and I think if I stick to standard pressure ammo swap out the recoil spring at a higher rate it will last long enough.... :eek:

I might go with Birdsong Black T because according to Mr. Williams they can leave the anodizing intact and help with longevity.

WVsig

My plan is to use NP3 on the frame and then Rogard on the slide to get this look. I have been told that NP3 will be harder than the original anodizing.

Slotback

WVSig: When you get it back, post the "after" pic. I would like to see it. I am impressed with Mr. Williams work.