Browning Hi-power attacks paper!

velocette

Heck if the newspapers can do it, so can I. Took the Hi-Power .40 to the local indoor range this afternoon. I'd just installed new Wolff recoil spring, firing pin spring and magazine springs. Told the wife that I had to "make certain that it was reliable with the new springs" Hah! And she believed me. I think. I fired a total of 201 rds of reloads, mostly in rapid fire cadence, some a bit slower to verify the new Bar-Sto barrel's accuracy.
(Didn't tell her about that.)
Ate the middle out of that pesky target out there at 50 ft. No failures, no jams, no problems at all. Even got a compliment sort of. Instructor in next lane commented to his student that that guy in the next lane did all that shooting with only one hand. He obviously did not notice that I was changing shooting stances from right hand to Weaver to left hand.
The more I shoot that Browning, the more I like it. its taken a while to make it the way I want it, but now it's working the way it always should have.
Shot two cylinders of Buffalo Bore +P 158 grain SWC HPthrough my regular carry S&W 637 aluminum snubby. That stuff is painful. The ammo is great and just what I want for carry. But I think it inflicts almost as much pain on the giving end as it will on the receiving end. Arthritic hands + aluminum snubbys + Buffalo bore plus P ammo = :-( . However, a sore hands beats begging for mercy every time.

Happy days

Roger

QBall45

"Have to make sure it reliable after changing springs"
This sounds like something I'd say to my wife. And, it really does make sense if its a SD/HD weapon,

"Didn't tell her about that"
I thought I was the only guy that was in the practice of sneaking small stuff under the rader like your new barrel.

I've learned that if there's a new gun I want that I start telling her "I'm looking @ & planning to buy xyz this fall/spring/whenever. If I know I need reloading componets & we'rei'll mention it on the way. Sometimes the budget allows for it today. At other times she'll ask if it can wait til next week or next trip to town. I try to stay ahead.

I'm very glad to hear that your new springs "worked reliably" and the new barrel "she didn't know about" was accurate. Would hate to have spent big money on springs only to find they were unreliable & inaccurate.

BTW, how much did ya tell her those springs cost? And what did ya really spend on them?

bamaranger

.40 browning HP

I've go one too, blue steel, walnut and fixed sights. My only criticism has been that early on, it had a bad trigger and cycling the slide by hand was tough. Really, it was tough to cycle the slide, I would thumb cock the rascal to reduce the amount of force necessary.

After 500 rds or so that all resolved itself. The trigger is a crisp, manageable
single action, and the slide cycles readily, if not easily.

Mine has been totally reliable w/ the 3 factory mags on hand.

velocette

Bamaranger;
My slide still takes a bit of effort to rack. Strong recoil spring is the culprit, neccessary with the .40 cal round. My .40's trigger is great now. it took. like yours several hundred rounds plus a cylinder & slide hammer, sear and trigger. Well worth the expense & work.

Happy days

Roger