Browning Hi-Power .40 - bliss at last.

velocette

Yes that's bliss.
I've been working on my BHP .40 (MkIII) for three years. Not all at once, but in fits and starts. Try this, try that, all with the idea of "do no harm". That is don't mess it up or make it an expensive piece of scrap metal.
First tried to improve the stock trigger pull, which was dreadful, almost as bad as todays plastic fantastic pistols. Reworked the stock sear and springs. Got a 5 lb inconsistent pull with some occasional creep. - - - not good enough. Then installed a Cylinder & Slide wide trigger. Much nicer on the trigger finger but still poor pull. Then installed a C&S hammer & sear. Better but needed more work. Polished and (barely) undercut the sear. Got a 4 1/2 lb consistent trigger with no creep. Nice, just what I wanted, feels lighter than 4 1/2 lbs but the calibrated trigger pull guage does not lie.
Now on to accuracy problem. Original barrel slugged at .402" Yes, .402 with a calibrated micrometer. Pistol shot patterns, not groups. So I bought me a Bar-Sto barrel. In my experience with Bar-Sto's in other pistols, they are superb. This new barrel had a very small flaw in the chamber which made it jam up with almost every round I put through the pistol. Sent it back to Bar-Sto. Got it back looking like new, and no flaw. Dropped it in the pistol and headed to my local range with a pile of assorted ammo.
The Browning, fired everything I could fit into the magazine, reloads with several different weights, JHP, FMJ, SWC, RNFP, everything, even all mixed in the same mag. (It did the same with the stock barrel)
The improvement was that they all wound up in the target in nice little groups.
So now my beloved Browning has an excellent consistent, clean crisp trigger pull, shoots nice little groups, doesn't choke on anything I can fit into the mag
feels great in the hand.
My only problem is what to do next. This pistol has been a labor of love for almost 3 years. Maybe some adjustable Tritium nite sights??? Hmmmmm.

Roger

SmithSwede

I'm very happy with my .40 Browning HP. My stock trigger was very nice, about 5 pounds and crisp. Still developing good reloads for it--may get a Bar Sto.

goodspeed(TPF)

Thanks for the input on your BHP. :) I'm sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with your gun right from the factory. :( I have 3 9mm BHPs and would never sell any of them. Me likey lots. So how much money have you put into this pistol in addition to the original purchase price? Thanks again for the input and Night Sights are a nice option on a SD gun. Iffin it's not for SD then maybe just some nice adjustables. -Goodspeed