Browning Buckmark vs. Ruger MKIII vs. Sig Mosquito

wolverine350

Well within the last 2 months i have purchased the Sig Mosquito at 370.00, ruger 22/45 mkIII at 289.00, and the browning buckmark camper at 329.00, have had the chance to shoot all 3 pistols, I first bought the sig mosquito and took it to the range, tried both recoil springs, fired well over 1000 rounds and had nothing but problem after problem with ftf's,ftl's,ftf, found out the only ammo the thing would shoot right was the cci mini mags, heck it even went back to sig for 2 weeks, nothing done, well needless to say i parted with the sig and got a new ruger 22/45 mkIII, took it to the range and well over a 1000 rounds now the gun has never missed a beat except for 1 misfire, probably due to a faulty remington thunderbolt, with the 4 1/2" fixed sighted barrel the gun proved to be more accurate than the sig mosquito, which i have put 8 different loads through both guns, the ruger eats everything i have put through it . The browning buckmark camper with the best adjustable sights ive found on a 22 auto so far proved to be the most accurate of the 3 pistols but compared to the ruger with fixed sights, if it had the adjustables it probably would give it a great run for the money, i have so far to put 150 rounds thru the browning using 2 different brands of ammo, no problems whatsoever, it ate everything very happily and is an awesome gun to shoot, the grip is a very pleasant, as is the ruger but like the browning just a little better, weight wise the browning and the ruger are about the same. Iam just tickled pink with the ruger and browning both, they are both awesome pistols, as for the sig mosquito, i have cussed it all im going to and am glad i got rid of it, i'm sure there are those that sware by it and there are those that haven't had any problems with theres, but mine proved to be the worst 370.00 i ever spent on a pistol. it would a been alright if i just wanted to shoot cci mini mags, 4.97 for 100 rounds, but i like to buy the bulk 500 rounds for 9.64, which the ruger and browning just love. point is i guess the guns should shoot anything you put through them case in point ruger and browning. as like any other gun you wanna be able to shoot a mixture of different ammo just not one brand. so there ya have my 2 cents worth on the 3 pistols. Ruger and brownings are real winners, very high quality, reliable, durable, trouble free guns, sig should a took more time into refining the mosquito and throughly tested it before they sent em out, just my opinion, i know people has had problems with ruger and browning and other brands and sware they wont buy another, but its just what ever tickles you the most, enjoy it.:D

rantingredneck

I just got a MkIII 22/45 a few weeks ago myself. So far I'm loving it. I got the 5.5" bull barrel version and put a BSA red dot on it. Shot it at the range this week with the red dot and it did OK. Still not convinced that it adds much over the iron sights for me at 25 yds (groups in the 1.5 to 2" range vs. 2-3" open sighted). Those are free-handed though. Gonna try some rested 25 and 50 yd shots with it to see what I get.

Never shot the brownings though I've heard good things. I've read all your complaints about the Sig and they were very persuasive.

HSMITH

If your experiences go like mine and my shooting buddies have the Ruger will see less and less range time as you shoot the Buckmark more. Keep the Ruger though, the ones that run as well as yours aren't as common as most would have you believe. Having two reliable and accurate 22's is a good thing!!!

wolverine350

i understand that, i am a little more partial to my browning after 150 rounds, vs the ruger after a 1000 rounds, but both are excellent shooters,but there is just something bout the browning. :) really liked the way the sig mosquito handled and target aqusition was good, its just to way picky on ammo, or least mine was. just liked the mini mags.

OldShooter

Ruger & Browning

I have a Ruger MkII and a Buckmark camper. Both have 5.5 inch bull barrels, both have adjustable sights, both are a pleashure to shoot. I share your joy. I think the Buckmark may be a little more tolerant of ammunition. I haven't shot the Ruger as much, but I've had a little more trouble with failure to extract/eject/load. It may be the ammo or need for cleaning. I'll just shoot more. They are equally accurate. I have been using the Buckmark for Bullseye and may use the Ruger next time. Btw, I am not competitive with the guys using exotic pistols and optical sights, but I am happy with my performance.

FS2K

My fellow Ruger .22 owners...

How do you find the grip size of your Rugers? I myself own an older MKII but my friend has a MKIII (both 22/45's both bull-barrels) and I find the grips on these little fella's a little on the small/narrow side for me to shoot comfortablly. I bought one of them Houge slip over rubber grips (the kind people use on 2nd Gen. Glocks allot) and that made it a bunch better.

How is the Buckmarks grip size? Is it noticably larger than the Rugers?

wolverine350

the ruger seems a little smaller than the browning, the browning feels awesome like it better than the ruger as far as the way it feels but love both of them as far as the way they shoot:D

allenomics

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. We should test fire different guns at ranges before we buy. What looks good, or what comes with a good pedigre doesn't always matter. Buy what works and feels right. Due to reliability problems, if someone game me a Mosquito, I would trade it for a Ruger (go with adjustable rear site model).

FS2K

I think almost everyone considered getting a Mosquito when they first came out.

I mean, they have style, a beefier feel to them and they are Sig's after all. :)

I don't think anyone who went out and bought one made a bad buy when they got it. Until people started shooting them they looked like a decent deal. There was no way to know how junk they were.

DBski

I traded a Buckmark for a new Ruger MK111 Hunter and could not be happier It is a tack driver and have not had any type of malfunction. The only thing negative would be that the buckmark is easier to take down to clean, but if you follow the instructions on the MK111 no problem, and since I am retired I have all the time in the world.

NWCP

I own a couple of Browning Buckmarks and have had zero problems after thousands of rounds. Great pistols and very accurate. My wife wants one of them as her own which is fine by me. Gives me an excuse to buy another. Mount it up with a scope and really see what it can do.

attachment.php

AK103K

sig can keep there skeeter, i will keep my browning and ruger
I went the other way, got rid of the Brownings and Rugers and still have my "skeeter". Mines been flawless. Fun little pistol. :)

The only way to really know what you'll like, is to buy them all, shoot the hell out of them, then decide what turns you on. Your going to hear nothing but 180* comments on anything you pick around here. :)

Old Gaffer

I'm REALLY glad to read all the good comments on the Browning. DW got me one (Hunter model) for Valentine's Day and thanks to MD draconian gun laws, I won't be able to actually take possession of it until sometime next weekend or later.

I am SO looking forward to a range trip on my way home from Bass Pro:)

DWARREN123

I have a Browning Buckmark Camper and like it. No problems and it eats everything I feed it. Use a bore snake to clean the bore and brush off the bolt.
I have put 8 different types of ammo in one magazine to see if it would fail, it shot them all only difference was in point of impact (POI).
I like the feel/grip angle over the Ruger.

wolverine350

went out today with the browning buckmark camper and put over 100 rounds thru it, i have already put 100 rounds thru it before today, this little gun is a champ, it has not had one single misfire or anything , and accurate , oh my, this browning will put em in there, the adjustable sights on this gun are awesome, it will tear the bullseye out at 15 yards (quarter size bullseye) going out tomorrow with my ruger mkIII slab sided 4 1/2" fixed sight, and do some plinking with it, thinking seriously about calling ruger and purchasing some adjustable sights for it:D