Browning Buckmark Review

Pistola Pedro

Boy this one will be quick! I have a 5 inch stainless Camper model. This gun is very accurate! Many people don't realize just how long the sight radius on this pistol is. It has a better sight radius than my 6 inch GP100. That's pretty impressive.
Take down on this pistol is silly and involves tools, but is still easier for me than the primary competition (Ruger). I'm not sure why it needs to be complex or why the top strap holds this together instead of the rails, but it isn't that big of a deal. I rarely take it down to that level. Cleaning the barrel and feed ramp keeps it running pretty smoothly. Just make sure that you throw some Loc-tite on the screws if you ever do take it apart or they will work themselves loose and cause failures.
Reliability and feeding is as good as should be expected when shooting a .22. I've never had one that was more reliable, but it isn't 100% for me. Most of that is probably from using cheap ammo bought in bulk ("what's that?" you ask. It is a special mythical kind of rimfire ammo that used to exist almost as far back as $10 boxes of 9mm WWB)
The trigger is really nice on this pistol. Mine was already good, but I went ahead and did the Heggis flip on it. It did improve it. The trigger shape is way too curved IMO. I wish it was a flat trigger. Also, trigger return can be a bit lethargic if you like to machine gun the thing like I do at times.
The safety isn't super smooth to flip on, but I never really need to do that in a hurry and it is easy to flip to the firing position.
Aftermarket is pretty strong on this pistol and it's a very good value. The only other wish I had for it is more corrosion resistant mags and maybe even a magwell (totally not practical for this type of pistol, but I would enjoy it)
Pete

Fishbed77

Take down on this pistol is silly and involves tools, but is still easier for me than the primary competition (Ruger).

I actually think it's the exact opposite. I find the Buck Mark more difficult to take down due to the need to use an Allen wrench and the fact that the tiny screws and little plastic buffer are easily lost.

Pistola Pedro

Yeah, it seems to be about 50-50 on that. That's why I was sure to point out that it's simply my opinion. Both good guns for sure.

ms6852

I love my buckmark, there is a tool that you can use that I ordered from rusty22. You can find more info on rimfirecentral.com. On you tube type rusty22 bmt tool. I can break down and assemble the buckmark faster than the Ruger mkII.

Kvon2

I'm going to own one of these at some point in my life, just not at the top of the list for now. I think they are awesome little guns though.

Lexspeed

Nice review of a great pistol. The Buckmark and the Ruger Mk are so special. Got to love'em. I'm a proud new owner of the Ruger MKIII in the stainless comp model. They are fun and cheap to shoot.

gyvel

Boy this one will be quick! I have a 5 inch stainless Camper model. This gun is very accurate!

I purchased a Buckmark in the mid 80s, shortly after they came on the market. My experiences were just the opposite of yours: The accuracy was mediocre at best, function was NOT 100%, and the overall construction seemed cheap and cheesy to me.

I dumped the gun shortly after and have never looked back.

It's another gun on my "no fly" list.

As always, YMMV.

gyvel

Nice review of a great pistol. The Buckmark and the Ruger Mk are so special. Got to love'em. I'm a proud new owner of the Ruger MKIII in the stainless comp model. They are fun and cheap to shoot.

My Ruger "Standard" has been with me since 1965 and is still going strong.

tallball

I bought my Buckmark used a year or two ago. It is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, and I have owned many. It is the only one that goes to the range with me every time. It has never malfunctioned for me. The trigger and sights are excellent. Yeah, taking it down is a nuisance, but I usually just clean it without disassembly. I like it just as much as my shooting buddy's Ruger Mark II. They are the two best 22 pistols I have ever shot.

BigJimP

Buckmark is a very good gun / runs 100% with decent ammo like mini mag...and not bad with the bulk remington junk ammo too.

Its way easier to take down and reassemble than the Ruger...I've had both / and I sold the Ruger it was so frustrating.

All .22's are sensitive to ammo ../ mine is a little more accurate with CCI Mini Mag - but the Buckmark is very accurate ( its not a S&W model 41, or a Hammerli - but those are different levels of rimfire guns ) and a lot more money.

Ocraknife

I have a new stainless Ruger MKIII and that thing is so damn tight I needed a dead blow hammer and a brass punch to field strip it and reassemble it. I hope your Buckmark is a little easier to clean than what I have.

Fishbed77

The Buckmark and the Ruger Mk are so special. Got to love'em.

I gotta agree. I don't get why people are willing to spend more money for all the lower-quality tacti-cool potmetal guns out there.

The Buck Mark and Mark-Series are better pistols in just about every respect and will last several lifetimes.

Last edited:

geetarman

My son and I both have Buckmarks. His instruction booklet does have fieldstrip instructions. Mine does not. Mine indicate it is not necessary. I would guess there is more damage caused by improper/careless fieldstripping than advantages. I have thousands of rounds through mine and it has never been taken apart. The sight base on mine is plastic and that is why the screws that hold it to the frame have serrations to dig into the plastic. I replaced mine with a Weigand picatinny rail with integral adjustable rear sight. It is made of aluminum and when it is installed and the screws are locktighted, it does not move. I put a red dot sight on it and I can shoot with the iron sights or the red dot. The screws have not worked loose from my gun or my son's gun. Neither of us fieldstrips the gun anymore. We do fieldstrip the centerfires, but not the rimfires. I snake the bore from time to time and clean what I can from a locked back bolt. Lube the rails and enjoy shooting the gun.

Woodsman60

I bought a new camper udx plus a year and a half ago, never a problem with it, love the looks and feel too. As to cleaning, my book says not to take it apart to clean, so I contacted browning and they said to just clean the barrel and chamber, and thats all I do.

PSP

Great design, great guns. I have a couple of them. On a par with the great Colt Woodsman IMHO.

rt11002003

I've owned a couple of the Buckmarks. I didn't care for them; mine were not especially accurate even the Target model. They are cumbersome to breakdown with an allen wrench, but that can be overcome cutting a straight section from the allen wrench, putting it in a socket and use a rachet to work the screw.

I switched to Ruger; now have two Mark iii's, a Target and a Competition Target, also a Mark ii Government Target. I like the .22lr round; also own a S&W Model 41, several 22 conversion kits: SIG 1911, SIG p210, and a HK4 along with two rifles: a Ruger 10-22 (modified) and a 45 year old Anschutz. Used to have a Hammerli Xesse Sport, nice 22, finicky about ammo; I keep thinking I should buy another one. Oh, I also have a 22 short "Saturday Nite" special purchased in TX about 60 years ago.:)

Jagrbomb

I owned one for several years. I did change out the barrel - but for regular cleaning, removal of the barrel is un-necessary.

I did clean it the proper way after every range trip - I realize some do not bother to take off the slide.

Only negative I will say is that if you have an optic rail on it - you have to remove it everytime you clean it the right way. So, you might have to adjust the zero a tiny bit in that case. With straight open sights, it was never an issue

carguychris

Ocraknife said:
I have a new stainless Ruger MKIII and that thing is so damn tight I needed a dead blow hammer and a brass punch to field strip it and reassemble it.
Owner's manual notwithstanding, routine maintenance on the Rugers doesn't actually require separating the barreled receiver from the frame.

Buy some Q-Tip Precision Tips and some 6" cotton medical applicators (widely available online) and you can clean virtually any part of the pistol by simply pulling the bolt. The trigger can be flushed out with spray cleaner after removing the plastic grips, if so equipped (don't ask me why I say this :eek:).

bn12gg

Among other high end 22 target pistols, I've owned a BuckMark Hunter model for 6 years. It's a wonderful firearm. I clean the chamber with Hoppe's, Ballistol plus pull a boresnake thru it twice post shooting. That's all it needs. After putting in the neighborhood of 5,000 rounds thru the gun I did have my gunsmith strip it for a complete cleaning. I'm now well into the second 5,000 rounds and it cycles anything I choose to put thru it. imo, most guys who mess up a BuckMark do so because they can't put it back together properly.

David :)