Browning Buckmark Range Report

Old Gaffer

Pistol: Browning Buckmark Hunter 7.25" bull barrel, stock grips and iron sights
Ammo: Remington Golden and CCI Mini Mag
Distance: 65' (estimated)
Weather: far too nice to be at work, so I wasn't :D

So here's the deal - I bought this Browning Buckmark from Bass Pro Shops on Saturday 2/10, and picked it up last night. Today was far to nice to sit on a vault working on powerpoint presentation slides, so I bolted, came home, read the entirely-too simplistic and skimpy handbook, then disassembled and cleaned the pistol.

DW and headed out to the range where I set up some targets about 21 yards from the pad's edge, and shot from a bench rest about a yard behind that (hence the 65' estimated muzzle-to-target distance)

My first shots were so far away from the target I'd thought I missed the paper entirely, when I saw the hole about 6" right and 6" up. OK, now I have something to work with. Several sighters later I was getting neat the bull, but still not shooting consistently - a personal complaint that plagued me all day. But what the heck, I'm a rifle shooter and this was the first time I - or anyone else - had ever shot this pistol. I'm willing to make allowances for "not broken in yet", remembering that my 10/22 took about 500 or so rounds to settle down.

This pistol has some recoil with both Remington Goldens and CCI Mini Mags, but it's not at all unpleasant or harsh. The bull barrel really does a pretty good job of holding the front end down, and it returns nicely to point-of-aim after each shot. Since I did all of today's shooting off of a bench rest, I can't comment about the weight of the pistol during extended shooting; I was at the range for about 3.5 hours - give or take.

Here's my best group of 5 shots, shot near the end of the day. After this, I believe that fatigue may have been starting to set in. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

buckmark_2-21-0765.jpg

This gun gets a solid "BUY" recommendation.

All the best,
Rob

shaggycat

Good to hear! I have a Buckmark as well, and besides a series of failures after I let it go 3000+ rounds without a cleaning, it has been perfect.

KMBRTAC45

I also have the Hunter model and will add too your recommendation. As for the weight after prolonged shooting, it is not bad at all.

Old Gaffer

KMBRTAC45 wrote:
I also have the Hunter model and will add too your recommendation. As for the weight after prolonged shooting, it is not bad at all.

That's good to hear - thanks! A coworker is really rather insistent that I should get off my butt and go shoot a match immediately, if not sooner. I've been a bit concerned about the weight for a 900-point bullseye match, and a lot more concerned about my relative ability (that's relative to the rest of the line:eek: )

It turns out that there's a club about an hour away from me that hosts bullseye matches every Saturday morning and Wednesday evening - I'll definitely be looking into the requirements to shoot there..

Cheers,
Rob

OldShooter

Bullseye shoot

Go the the shoots and compete only with yourself (to start).
Around here bullseye happens only once a month and only in the winter. My Buckmark goes with me everytime.

topspin43

I got the Camper... cheapest model to do mods on... (barrel, grips and red dot sight)

I Like: Trigger - sweet as candy. Accurate. Easy takedown.
I Dislike: Butt ugly. Little pieces keep falling off (hi-viz front sight - gone, slide release cap - gone too, sight base screws are constantly loose)

This little fav of mine adds an hour to my range session for 8 bucks of ammo. The pistol is way more accurate than me! What's not to like?

NWCP

I have an earlier model Camper with the metal sight base and a 7.25" Contour Lite. Both have been remarkabley reliable and exceptionally accurate. I usually mount a weaver on my Contour and shoot the Camper with open sights, but the Camper also performs well with the scope. Enjoy your pistol. I think the little Brownings are the best .22 semi-auto for the money on the market.

buckmark_scoped.jpg