Browning Buckmark 5.5 Field

bullseye

Looking at this .22 cal pistol for target shooting and plinking. Something cheaper to shoot that my 9's and 45's. It looks like a very good quality gun, has the bull barrel and full length scope mount. I like the design and it fits my hand well. Any opinions/users out there?

Hammy

I've owned several 22 semi-auto pistols but not a Browning. I finally bought a Ruger MKII with a 10 inch bull barrel. Everyone who shoots this gun falls in love with it. At first the gun feels barrel heavy but after you get used to it the extra weight almost eliminates barrel rise. It has performed flawlessly and I highly recommend any of the Ruger MKII's. Accuracy is top shelf.

saands

I jsut went through that dilemma and bought a Ruger 22/45. I got the 4" bull barrel to go better with my compact USP40. I chose the Ruger over the Browning, basically because I didn't like the fact that you needed tools (a hex wrench I believe) to field strip it. So far the 22/45 has impressed me with its accuracy, although I have to admit that the Browning's seem a little more substantial than the polymer framed Rugers. The standard MkII's even feel better in that respect. I would simply say: don't ignore the Ruger offerings ... they are pretty good competition.
saands

thequickad

I own both Ruger and Browning and I would agree that the Ruger is more fun to shoot. The Browning is nicely finished and groups well but not as easy to disassemble as the Ruger. However, the Ruger is trickier to re-assemble. And YES, you do need tools to take the Ruger apart, a paper clip to hook on the disasembly lever and a rubber mallet to remove the barrel from the frame of the Ruger.

Kingcreek

I have the 5.5 Browning. very accurate and never any problems with it. I have a tasco PDP3 red dot on it and have shot mini-pin matches with it. lots of fun.
also have the (discontinued?-I think) Buckmark silhouette 10" model with a 4X Leupold LER scope. I stalk gophers and squirrels with it. Goofy as it sounds, I can really get into stalking the little gophers just like still hunting big game- heart pounding and everything.
sometimes I sit on my porch and shoot walnuts off the trees 50-75 yards away (when the gopher hunting is slow) Extremely Accurate

mcshot

I have the Browning Buck Mark Plus with a Burris 3X LER that will outshoot most .22 rifles. Never cared for the Rugers I've owned.

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000