Browning Buckmark 22lr

Gahaha

Anyone have any experience with this firearm or anything similar to it? Looking for a good plinking gun. :cool:

Limnophile

I have its predecessor, the Browning Challenger III. A great pistol. It appears to me that the Buck Mark is the best of the .22 LR plinkers.

marine6680

Great pistols.

I have Ruger Mks, and like them... but even with the need of an Allen wrench to disassemble the Buckmark... its still much easier to take down, clean and maintain...

If someone wanted a first pistol... and wanted a target 22lr, the Buckmark would be my suggestion. Simply for the easier maintenance.

Cheapshooter

I am very happy with my Buckmark Camper. The lowest priced in the Buckmark line. But you can't tell by the performance, reliability, and accuracy that it isn't the highest priced model.

geetarman

Great pistols. I have one and my son does too. They just run and run and run. I put a Weigand rail on mine with the integral rear sight and
put a Sig red dot on it. I think it is a TWS 25 and was marketed by Sig. I can shoot the red dot or the iron sights with no problem. My gun has never been field stripped and has many thousand rounds through it. I spray it down and lube the rails and once in a blue moon snake the bore.

GeoJelly

I have had one for many years and have never had any problems with it. That said - and for truth in advertising - there are a couple of things I don't care much for. First, and you may have already noticed it, I find the slide difficult to get a grasp on and retract - especially if the hammer has been dropped. Second, just like the Ruger Mark II, etc, it is a pain in the neck to get the slide off of it for thorough cleaning. So - I just use Q-tips and do the best I can after shooting it. I have never had a feeding jam with mine.

tallball

My Buck Mark is my most accurate handgun. The balance, sights, and trigger are outstanding. I would recommend it to anyone who wants an accurate and reliable plinking or range 22. It goes with me on 99% of my trips to the range. It eats whatever random 22 lr is on sale. I have been very impressed.

Nathan

I had one like this:
target_pistol_browing_buckmark.jpg

Super pistol. One of the most accurate guns I have used. I wish I could get the trigger a bit better.

rt11002003

I've owned two different models, a Micro Target and I've forgotten the model of the other. They were OK. I rate them between the Ruger Mark iii and the S&W 22A. These days my 22 pistols are a Mark iii Target, a Mark iii Competition Target and a S&W Model 41. Also owned a Hammerli Xesse Sport for awhile.

Can't fault the Buckmark.

geetarman

I find the slide difficult to get a grasp on and retract - especially if the hammer has been dropped.

Me too. That is the only thing I don't like about the gun. I had a Belgian Challenger that is very similar to the Buckmark and I do not remember it being so difficult to rack with a dropped hammer. I am guessing there are a lot more who feel the same way. The slide needs something on it to facilitate a better and more positive grip. I was thinking a couple of precision pins aligned along the serrations in the slide to allow you to grasp it better or a couple of pins threaded into the slide to help get a grip. There is just not enough area to get a decent grip. Especially so if you are older and losing strength in your hands.

James K

Member In Memoriam
My only problem with the Brownings is that I have known several owners who disassembled their pistols and lost one or both screws. The Ruger is harder to take down, at least at first, but the parts are big and don't run off and hide in the corner.

Jim

DaleA

I've shot the following three extensively but only ONE of each so it's kind of ridiculous for me to make statements about the whole model line based on shooting just one of them but hey, that what we do. Here's my two cents:

Cool or snob appeal:
#1 Buckmark, by a significant amount.
#2 Ruger Mark or 22/45
#3 S&W Model 22A.

Accuracy: (so close it hardly matters)
#1 Ruger Mark II by a whisker
#2 Buckmark
#3 S&W Model 22A.

Overall recommendation---I wish I would have bought that S&W Model 41 back in 1980!!! (But NOOOOOOO, too much money and now I regret it.)

zach_

I really like My Buckmark. I have never shot another 22 pistol. If it is the easiest to take apart and put back together, it will be the only 22 pistol I will own. The others must really be difficult. I guess I am comparing Glock's, 1911's, m&ps
's and other types of guns.

The back rail screw needing loctite to stay put kind of irks me.

Sidetrack

I am getting a gummy residue in the magazine's that seems like wax that builds up after 200 or so rounds of some ammo. Some ammo does seem kind of sticky. Is this unique to me and my Buckmark?

BigJimP

I like the Buckmark a lot...way better than the Ruger in my view..

The Buckmark has been durable and literally will run all of the .22 ammo I've fed it -- even the cheaper bulk stuff. A lot of .22's can't say that.

I think mine is about 5 yrs old.../ grandkids put a lot of rounds thru it.../ even the entry level camper model - you can upgrade it with rails, etc from Tactical Solutions to jazz it up a little..

zincwarrior

Wife and I both have one. Love it. Very accurate, good triiger, good little pistol. We have Rugers as well. I suggest you go to the store and try the grip on each. The angles are slightly different and people typically have a preference based on that.

You can't go wrong with either frankly.

lockedcj7

I love mine. I've got the threaded camper and it's amazing with or without the can. If it ever jams I might even clean it.

I've also got a Ruger standard that I love. Good thing I don't have to choose.