Browning BLR???

jgcoastie

I'm looking around trying to find another rifle. I've had my trusty Browning BAR Safari MkII in .30/06 for many years now, but I'm looking for something with a little more 'umph', most likely a .300 Win Mag. I want to be able to load up some hot loads for bear hunting, but I'm a little curious about the alloy receiver in the BLR. Will it hold up as well as an A-Bolt when shooting hot n' heavy loads?

I'm not completely opposed to getting a LH A-Bolt SS, but I'd rather have a faster cycle time if the griz doesn't take a shine to dying after the first shot.

The BAR I have would be okay for bear if it weren't for it's finniky nature with handloads. Plus, I've convinced the wife that, in order for me not to be eaten by a grizzly, I'll need a more powerful rifle.

Can anyone attest to the strength/weakness of the alloy receiver in the BLR?

Doyle

I've been wanting a BLR for a long time. My concern with the caliber you listed is the length of throw of the lever. I personally, think that the BLR works best on the short-action calibers.

OLNfan

Iv always wanted a BLR but I went for a 45-70 lever action marlin havent regretted it but I love looking at a nice new BLR on the shelf. Iv harvested two bears last season. 2 more this season! starts in 8 days! for me in B.C. any ways.The one thing I dont like about the BLR is its a magazine firearm instead of tublar fed. that kind of bugs me, doesnt feel like a true lever action, but thats me you could be use to that with the bar. Wish I could pursade my lady to make her think I need a new rifle hah. I dont think the lengenth of the lever will do much, 300 is a big cartridge but a few times at the range you will know how touchy it is or isnt. With my lever its one swift lever back and forwarth no complaints. Only one jam from my friend on it. I tried to explain one swift motion, some how, he hears stop wait a second then pull it back. I must say though you are a very lucky man to have the Browning BAR Safari MkII in .30/06 !

Last edited:

skydiver3346

For self defense against bears?

Why not look at a S&W 460 or 500 pistol for self defense. With proper holster, it is much easier to lug around the wilderness than a rifle. Besides, if you aren't hunting the Griz, this pistol is an excellent choice for self defense as it is easier to use in an up close and personal event with these big guys.

Picher

The BLR is a great carrying gun. It has a box magazine, which I think is important to minimize wear and cartridge battering.

The only things that have turned me off have been the shiny stock and the external hammer.

Picher

pilothunter

I've owned several BLRs and presently have two with alloy receivers; a .450 Marlin and .325 WSM. It sounds like the .325 might be what you're looking for. I have owned a L/A BLR in the past, but decided it wasn't for me. In my opinion the .325 with it's 22" barrel balances and carries nicely.

There are 3 or 4 factory loads with bullets from 180gr to 220gr., and a couple of aftermarket loaders with even more options. I recently got some loads with 200gr NP bullets that I figured would be good, but have not shot them as yet. A bit more recoil than an '06, but not excessive to my shoulder. About the same as my .35 Whelen shooting hot 200gr loads. If they made the BLR in the .350 RM, I'd be the first in line.

I'd say the .450's recoil is another step up, but still not too uncomfortable. The 325gr LE load makes the .450 an honest 300yd rifle (if you know your drop!) and gives it a MPBR of 200yds (+3" @ 100yds and -3" at a bit over 200yds). The BLR is a fine rifle, and I'm sure you'd like it.

pilothunter

There's not been a Belgian made BLR for something around 30 yrs. I also own an older steel frame BLR in .358. NICE gun. But we don't...live there anymore.

jgcoastie

For self defense against bears?
Why not look at a S&W 460 or 500 pistol for self defense. With proper holster, it is much easier to lug around the wilderness than a rifle. Besides, if you aren't hunting the Griz, this pistol is an excellent choice for self defense as it is easier to use in an up close and personal event with these big guys.

Not for self defense, for hunting them. I already own a G20SF in 10mm, loaded with 200gf WFNGC rounds from DoubleTap. It's big enough, powerful enough, and light enough that I always have it on my hip when hunting any game or fishing. Not to mention that I am very familiar with this gun and I'm very accurate with it both against stationary targets and moving ones. I'm looking for another option for a bear hunting rifle besides hot loading my BAR with heavy loads. (It was given to me by my father at age 13, I'll never sell it and am not interested in using such a heavy load in it as would be necessary for bear.