Browning BLR Takedown

Gbro

Try this, Take down to lake and throw.
Just kidding, just never liked the rack-n-pinion action. (JMSO)

jrt_ms1995

I saw and handled one at the NRA Annual Meeting exhibit hall in early April. Take down and reassembly were relatively easy. I'd prefer a satin-finished or oiled stock to the hard lacquered (or whatever it really is) stock. Anything specific you'd like to ask? (though I may not know the answer).

Leif

Nothing too specific in mind, I just was curious more than anything to see if anybody had or used one and what their impressions were, since I haven't seen a thread on it at all.

I was curious about the 'stability' (for lack of a better word) of the system, and the scout/LER mount.

FirstFreedom

No but I think I *may* have to have one. Sometimes a gun comes along with a combo of features that makes it well-nigh irresistable.

DouglasW

Looks interesting. Reminds me that a couple years ago Winchester announced a new take-down model 94 Timber Scout (even had pics on their website for us to drool over) before USRAC stopped manufacturing under the Winchester name.

Winchester M94 Takedown

Lever-action enthusiasts should flock to this new line, inspired by the original 1895 Takedown. The new Model 94 Takedown consists of three models in several big-game calibers.

Too bad they never made it into production...

edit: found a pic online.
GAnewlg_020606P.jpg

Leif

Sometimes a gun comes along with a combo of features that makes it well-nigh irresistable.

Sort of what I was thinking. Short of the ammunition capacity, it is the "Scout Rifle", is it not?

Scorch

In the May 2007 Field and Stream, David Petzal did sort of a review on lever rifles, and one of them was the BLR Takedown. Takedowns are nothing new, but this one has the scope mounted on the barrel to eliminate shift in POI after reassembly.

DouglasW

scorch said:
In the May 2007 Field and Stream, David Petzal did sort of a review on lever rifles, and one of them was the BLR Takedown

Might you have a link to that article? I just searched F&S website, but couldn't find it. Thanks.

Scorch

I looked on their web site also, and cannot find a link to any of their magazine articles. After thinking about it, it might be in the March issue. Try your local library.

Leif

Scorch, thanks for the reference - I'll have to take a look.

Wildalaska, I think I remember reading a post last year or so by you about WWG advising Browning on the technical aspects of these? Is this correct, or am I misremembering?

How does the 'scout' carbine model work with its iron sights? The description on the Browning website implies the presence of a rear adjustable sight. Is this removed to provide for the rib, or integrated into it somehow? Can't tell from the pictures.

FirstFreedom

.325 WSM or .450 Marlin in a sub-7 lb rifle? Ouch! :eek:

Also, when I first saw this thread, I mistakenly inferred that somehow the takedown was also going to be made in the .22lr gun - my bad.

I'm thinking the .243 would work nicely in this BLR.

sthomper

with the rifle in firing position how close does that bolt thing come to hitting one in the face??

does it distract from follow up shot accuracy??