Browning BL-22

Lurch37

Been looking at a new Browning BL-22, Grade II. Nice looking little lever gun but I know nothing about them as I have always shot the Winchester 9422 and 9422M that I'm more familiar with.

Those of you that have them and shoot them, what are your thoughts? Any problems or issues? Thank you.

PatientWolf

The BL-22 is a beautiful firearm My only dislike of the BL-22 is the very short throw of the lever. I much prefer the action on the Henry.

105kw

It is a good accurate rifle.
Very good small game rifle, I liked it better than my Marlin Mountie.

Lurch37

My only dislike of the BL-22 is the very short throw of the lever.

I've read of this short throw and how some people don't like it. Is it something you got used to? I've never worked the action on one maybe I should try it first.

105kw

I actually liked the short throw Lever on the Browning over the Standard 90° Marlin.
Switching back and forth requires some forethought, if your using a regular 90°, the short throw can whack your fingers during rapid shooting.
I'd take the BL22 over any other .22 levergun.

PatientWolf

I've read of this short throw and how some people don't like it. Is it something you got used to? I've never worked the action on one maybe I should try it first.

It was actually my younger brother’s rifle growing up so I really never got used to it. While it was fun to shoot, my preference is for a full throw on the lever.

Pikie

BLR-22

I had two different BLR-22,s at different times in my life. I am 63 and hunt. A lot. The only reason I got rid of them is because I could never mount a scope on them because the area for the “tip offs” is too short. If you get an extension you get the scope up pretty high. For me that was stock off the cheek high. But they were nice. I now use a BA22 with a scope and it’s great.

FrankenMauser

Good rifles.
Finicky to reassemble after a deep cleaning, though. Worth the trouble, but sometimes a pain to get everything aligned to go back together.

The short throw lever can hurt people with tender fingers. But you'll prefer it if you run one for a while.

Scorch

I am not sure why people would dislike the short lever throw, you just open your hand and close it without letting go of the stock with your hand. Otherwise, they are like many 22 rifles, light, fun and accurate.

44 AMP

Staff
The short throw lever can hurt people with tender fingers.

Foolish people, perhaps...:D
]
In this matter I have little sympathy, if you run (particularly an unfamiliar gun) so hard that you hurt yourself, you're foolish.

And, if you put any part of yourself in the way of the moving parts (and that includes powder gas) you've moved from foolish to stupid, IMO.

Quite simple, actually, if the gun bites you, you're doing something wrong.

stagpanther

I have a BLR in 7mm-08; a beautiful rifle (almost too beautiful to take out of the safe)--the trigger pull is listed as about 4.5 lbs but is nearly double that--I'd be very interested in hearing what the pull on their 22 model is (from actual owner/user).

LOLBELL

JMHO. It’s the finest 22 lever gun made. Have a 39A and have owned the 9422. Got the BL22 for Christmas in 74 when I was 14. There are no telling how many 100,000 of rounds have been down the barrel. It’s never given any problems at all. I did let a gun smith tear it down for a deep cleaning about 20 years ago. The 33 degree throw is a big + to me. You can work the lever with just a flip of the fingers w/o letting go of the stock. The rifle now resides at my oldest son’s home. The youngest got the 39A but was unhappy with it so he bought a new BL22.

Pumpkin

I always have felt the 39A is the best 22 lever action ever made. A forged steel receiver, drilled and tapped for a proper scope mount and a threaded in barrel. The others may be lighter and fancier but they will never surpass the M39 or it’s legend. I have one with a Williams receiver sight that will shoot under a 1/2” 5 shot group at 50 yards, never had a problem with it since 1978.

603Country

I have one of each. I put the Browning in 3rd, with the 9422 in 1st and the 39A in 2nd. That’s just my opinion, but when the grandson comes to visit, he grabs the 9422.

snoeproe

I’ve had one since the mid 80’s. Grandparents got it for me when I was around 10. It’s never jammed. Ever. I can’t fathom the countless critters I’ve shot over the years with it. All my kids learned to shoot rimfire with it.
It’s always shot well. It has a dove tail groove for mounting a scope. It’s not drilled and tapped. The short 33 degree lever throw is lightning fast. The browning tube magazine design is the best out there. Nothing compares in my opinion. The 39a and 9422 are no longer produced today as they are just too expensive to produce in today’s market. You won’t be disappointed if you pick up a BL22

Why not have all 3? I put the 9422 first--The Marlin 39 second and the BL-22 third........Henry IS NOT included!!!!........OR EVEN IN THE RACE.

Attachments

• 100_1239.JPG
    100_1239.JPG
    879 KB · Views: 20