Browning BDM report

Freightman

Well I have really ran it through the hoops. I have had it three weeks and put 1000 rounds through it JHP, FMJ, LRN, LFN, and no ftf or ftf, or fte. I guess I trust it now. Like the 15+1 capacity like what I have in it even better $0 as far as money goes.
The only thing I can say is shooting is habit forming!;) ;) ;) ;)

BigMike

Not popular, but they are nice looking pistols, relatively thin/flat, and not ungodly heavy for an all steel pistol. I read once that 15 rd mags were north of $120.00. :eek:

Mike

jar

I have long said that the BDM was the best failure ever. ;) Mine has been great for many years and many, many rounds. I'm trying now to see if I can modify standard HP mags to use in my BDM. Stay tuned.

Handy

I'm looking to unload mine if anybody wants it. Even has one of those collectable 15 round mags.:p

I was with American Rifleman when this handgun came out. I was SURE that this was going to be a HUGE hit. It should have been, but for some reason just wasn't.

One of these days I'm going to get one of these critters.

Aerrin45ACP

I would have loved to get a BDM, but as a 1911 fan, the safety just worked the wrong way.

Browning's better off sticking with the Hi Power.

SouthpawShootr

This gun should have been a huge hit. I blame Browning's sorry attempt at advertising this gun. Everybody I know that has one initially shunned it and when they bought one, loved it. I had my eye on one that had a blued slide and nickle frame (sort of like the HP practical). Show after show the same dealer had it. Started out at $450. When it reached $289, I bought it and love it. Anybody know where to get the pre-bans for this gun? There aren't may around.

Also, it seems, the profile is back. FN is making a traditional double action version of it. Not nearly as good workmanship, though. And without the Browning action selector. Pity. FN might have made a success of it.

Mark King

I owned a BDM for a few years. One of the most reliable pistols I've ever owned.

I recently had to sell my example due to an unwelcome stint in the unemployment line.

BUT! I still have two, 15 round magazines. One was function tested and the other has never been loaded. They are now for sale.

So any of you BDM owners who want original capacity mags send me a PM with a reasonable offer and we'll talk.

Mark / FL

weldonjr2001

I still have 3 guns rags, "American Handgunner", "Guns and Ammo" and "Combat Handguns", all with pictures of the BDM on the cover and feature articles inside, with the general thrust being that here was the wonder-nine of the future. Being a Browning fan, I was elated when I came across one at a gun show about 8 or 9 years ago for just under $300. But I never did see any full-capacity mags for it, and that was frustrating, because I had plenty for the Beretta and S&W 9mm's I owned at the time. It was fun switching the trigger action back and forth, just because you could. I remember it was extremely slim. I think the 10-round (for us civilians) full-sized 9mm thing killed it more than anything. The safety/decocker WAS different than just about anything else out there, but you didn't have to use it if you didn't want to. And of course the fact that it didn't get any law-enforcement interest didn't help either. Too bad. It was kinda neat.

jar

The safety decocker was strange for some but it was actually correct from a DA/SA handgun point of view. The thinking behind it was that it would only be used in what Browning called the Pistol Mode.

standard.jpg

Almost all decockers move down to decock the pistol and so Browning made the motion down. The idea was that once it was decocked you'd move the handle back up and treat it as a regular DA/SA pistol.

The other mode was called Revolver Mode by Browning which explained the markings on the switch, P or R.

Here's a closeup of the gun in Revolver Mode
standard.jpg

In this mode the hammer always returned to a half cocked position and the safety was seldom if ever used.

Unfortunately, in all the reviews I remember seeing about this gun, no one ever explained why Browning set it up the way they did. Instead, there were tons of comments about the safety being backwards. I think if Browning had done a better job of explaining what they had done and the reasons behind it, and if they had made it so that it accepted the standard HiPower mags, it would have and maybe still be, a winner.

SouthpawShootr

Now that you mention it, this gun would awesome in a chopped version. Cut enough off the frame to make efficient use of the space fo the mag, then take a 1/2 inch or so off the front while preserving the lines of the pistol.

This gun didn't succeed because Browning didn't push it. Maybe they were afraid it would eclipse their P35 rendition.

I really like the "revolver" mode on this gun and have fired it very little in the "pistol: mode. Maybe PDs were afraid to have these options - doesn't do well for uniformity in training. Or maybe the lugheads at Browning just didn't compete for any police contracts.

Handy

No, really. I'd like to sell my hi-cap BDM. Anybody interested?

I've advertised it before, but everyone who likes them already has one.