Browning BDA 45

sailskidrive

Anyone out there have a heal release Sig P220 imported as Browning BDA?

I have one that is pretty close to new in the box (circa 1978) and I'm trying to figure out if it is something I should shoot or stash in the back of the safe for the kid some day.

carguychris

^^^ +1. Here's my thoughts.

If the idea is to give him/her a really nice gun that's somewhat unusual, IMHO this is a good candidate, go for it.

OTOH if the idea is to give him/her a high-dollar collector's item, IMHO you're barking up the wrong tree. IMHO it's unlikely that any standard-production late 70s / early 80s SIG, badged as a Browning or not, is going to appreciate in value within the next several decades at a rate that significantly exceeds the general rate of inflation. (A P210 would be a possible exception, but this gun is high-end and legitimately rare- a description that I don't think applies to a heel-release P220, although YMMV, I'm not an expert.)

Run a search for the word "investment" in the General Discussion subforum and you can read all sorts of back-and-forth debate on this topic; let's not rehash it all here.

Last edited:

tmlynch

I have one I bought used, in nowhere near "new in box" condition. I shoot it as often as I can.

I vote a follows:
Shoot it!
Shoot it with the kid.
Give it to the kid later, with happy memories of shooting it Dad​

Regards,
Tom

carguychris

^^^ +1 tmlynch. :)

Got a chance to look at the Blue Book this morning (32nd ed, i.e. the previous one). It indicates that BDA .45 values are somewhat lower than the SIG-badged versions, by ~$100 in LNIB condition. It says nothing about the heel release, either for the P220 or the BDA.

tmlynch

SIG did sell the same configuration in the US for a while before they went to the thumb mag release that is preferred here. As a result, I have always viewed my BDA as an undervalued SIG 220 European.

All the quality without all the price.

Tom

TimW77

Best idea yet...

"Shoot it!
Shoot it with the kid.
Give it to the kid later, with happy memories of shooting it Dad"

T.

sailskidrive

Thanks for the advice guys!

I wasn't implying that I expected it to increase significantly in value, it was more of "is it unusual enough to preserve in its current condition?"

It sounds like the answer is "no", so I'll probably just start shooting it.

I have a 1943 type 2 Remington Rand and a new in box Hk4 (1971) w/ all four barrels that I've stashed away for him.