Browning BAR

dwesson445

No, not the fun one, the civilian version... :)

I'm thinking about one of these down the road. Anyone have any feedback on them? I'm surprised nobody has produced aftermarket magazines for them... What's a good price on a used one? Things to look out for? Thanks!

B

GAS34

www.ohioordnanceworks.com sells them.

From their site:The cost of the 1918A3 is $2,650.00.
We require half down, and the balance upon delivery. Upon receipt of payment we will send you an invoice with the serial number of your firearm. If you pay in full up front, we will pick up the shipping.

Gewehr98

I know what you're talking about, dwesson.

Guys, he means the civilian sporting semiauto rifle, which began production in the late 1960's, beginning in Belgium. Not the Browning 1919 and it's variant .30 caliber military automatic rifles.

Now, the U.S. military has experimented with, and even adopted the commercial rifle, in .300 Winchester Magnum, as an Interdiction Rifle, with special barrel, McMillan stock, and modified 1919 10-round magazines. They were used in Sarajevo as well as Kosovo, providing a countersniper rifle capability against those apartment-hiding snipers with their Dragunovs and 8mm m76 AK-types. Unfortunately, Armstech Weapons Enhancement no longer builds or modifies them, which is a bummer. I've got a beat-up older 7mm Magnum BAR that was a prime candidate for the conversion.

I've also got a beautiful 1969 Belgian Grade 1 in .30-06 that I actually fought over in my divorce, my ex-wife wanted the gun so bad because of it's smooth function and accuracy. I won, it's now in my safe. A much better gun than the counterpart Remington 742/7400 series.

dwesson445

Thanks, Gewehr98.

I thought that a used BAR in 308 with some homemade fiberglass furniture and an adapted 20 round magazine might make an inexpensive alternative to an M1A/FAL. I know BAR owners are tend to be very happy with them but I'd still like to know if they have any chronic design problems like the Remingtons...

Gewehr98

Having owned both the BAR and Remington 742, I vote for the former...

The 742/7400/4 all base their ancestry on the venerably Remington Model 870 pump shotgun, right down to the removable trigger group. I own, and like, my 870, but converting it to a gas auto rifle left something out of the mix. I also had the opportunity to work on the later Remington, the 7400, and it was a pain, also. The 7400 eventually had to go to Remington for a new bolt assembly, the gun never fed rounds properly from the day it left the factory.

As for the Browning autoloader, to be fair, there has been a bit of product improvement in that model over the years, too. Things like the nylon/teflon recoil buffer in the rear of the receiver, a deeper magazine that allows one more round, a bolt release lever, and most recently, the alloy receiver and synthetic stock. (Not really sure the alloy receiver is the greatest thing, but hey, the M16 did ok with one...) The gas system is fairly straightforward, and requires minimal maintenance. And the trigger, oh, my, why don't they make triggers like that in more of today's litigation-prone industry? It's a thing of beauty.

I've really only had one gripe with my BAR in .30-06, I had to buy small base sizing dies because the chamber in the gun was so tight, I had trouble feeding it my normal .30-06 handloads that went just fine into my M1, M1903A1, and M1903A4.

This spare project gun will probably wear a modified McMillan stock, and a military BAR magazine, when and if I ever get around to rebuilding the darned thing...