Browning BAR

MSPHUNTER

What do you think about the browning BAR, have you had any problems and would you recommend it over a lever action?

twoblink

You BAR owners out there, first, make sure your customers don't drink and drive... ha ha, bad joke.

I had a question, being left handed, I'm very concerned about brass ejection. Does the BAR eject the brass straight to the right (perpendicular to the gun, straight out 90 degrees) or does it eject it kind of towards the back at an angle, towards maybe 4:30 or 5 0'clock instead of 3 o'clock? This way, I won't get hit in the face or have burnt hair, (which has happened to me before).

Thanks.
Albert

ED CHAVEZ

Twoblink,

Have you tried to e-mail Browning? If you find an e-mail send them a message and ask them your questions. Also have you gotten their 2001 catalog? If not, ask for one and ask them to have them send you more information about the Browning Automatic Rifle.

MSPHUNTER,

Each firearm has their faults.

-Pump/slide action Browning BAR and Remington has 4-round capacity, it is heavy, not as accurate as Bolt-action.
-Lever-action rifles only fires round nose calibers, .30-30, .45-70, .357, and others(if within tube magazine), accurate at only 150yards(well with .30-30), not as accurate as bolt-action, and I wish they made a lever-action that fires the .308 or .30-06 and is magazine loaded; I hope someone knows of someone who makes one.
-Bolt-action rifles are nearly perfect, except some need modifications to fit some people like: trigger work, stocks, and sights.
-Single-shots rifles(H&R, NEF): no following shots(if needed).
Well those are the negatives to these types of firearms types, but all have negatives as well as positives, we as firearm hobbiest have to fix or get around these negatives and adapt to them.

Jack M

Browning makes a lever action in .308, .30-06, hell I think they will sell you one in .300 magnum! Only a 4 round mag, but my BLR .308 is a great handling rifle. ( Haven't had it long, and I love it already!)

ED CHAVEZ

Browning lever-action should have at least have a 5-round magazine. Well at least they made a .308 and .30-06 or .300Win lever-action with more than two shots. What is the weight of it, barrel length, and overall size, Jack M? Thanks.

twoblink

Their catalog SUCKS. Memo to Browning, whoever is your marketing and sales for this year, fire them.

I probably will email them... The important things like showing a picture of someone shooting it so I can see brass ejection, recoil, comfort of the gun etc... I missing. The pictures in there sucks really badly, and no useful data.

Time to request a Master Catalog...

Albert

twoblink

Can you get a Steel Receiver and Synthetic Stock? I'd prefer steel over alloy, but prefer the Synthetic over the wood.

Not calling you a lier, just would feel better if the catalog said explicitly if it was an alloy receiver or steel for the Stalker model...

Of course just to fan the flame,
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar_features.htm

The section under receiver says:
"Safari model has one-piece ordnance steel, richly blued with scroll engraving and drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Lightweight model has alloy receiver."

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar_stalker.htm
Then you go to the Stalker section and it says:
"The same proven features as a Mark II Safari but with a rugged, lightweight, synthetic stock and forearm. "

So it's saying it's basically a Safari, with the only difference being the synthetic stock and forearm. That should mean (combining the two pages) that the stalker has a steel receiver...

I'm going to email Browning, I'll post what they say.

Albert
Albert

BIGR

MSPHUNTER, I love my Browning Bar MK II Safari in 30.06 and also shoot it left handed. I really couldn't tell you how at what angle the empty shell casings go flying through the air at , but it seems that when I pick most of them up off the ground that they are to the right and slighty to the rear of the bench. I have never had any problems with the empty brass landing on me while I was shooting from the bench or hunting. It is an accurate rifle that I shoot well. Right after I bought it I put a Bell and Carson black synthetic stock on it and added a 3 X 9 X 40 MM Nikon Monarch scope to it. That combination has made a fine hunting rifle. As far as the Browning Lever actions I cannot comment on them other that a coworker has a BLR in 7MM 08 and he loves it. Good luck in your decision.

Gewehr98

Nope.

Just the Mark II Lightweight variant has the aluminum alloy receiver. The rest still use steel. Two local dealers stock them, I got to check them out the other day.

My own BAR is an all-Belgian 1969-vintage Grade I, in .30-06, gorgeous while still smooth and accurate. After working with a friend's Remington 7400 in .30-06, I have come to appreciate the Browning even more. Now if I could just figure out a way to retrofit that newer deep-belly 5-round magazine of the current non-magnum BAR tp my older 1969 gun, without modifying the rifle... (Anybody ever try this?)

Daryl Douthat

I have a BAR Lightweight .338 with 20" barrel. A Leupold 1.5x5 on it and a Bell and Carlson stock. It shoots well with factory ammo, recoil is much nicer than my bolt actions .338's. I got it for my carry gun and it is nice to have the firepower in bear country. (I found that carrying a bolt action was about as comforting as carrying a baseball bat when I had a too close encounter with 3 grizzlies.)