Browning BAR

FREE SPEECH

I was wondering if anyone can relate their experiences with a pre-1990 Browning BAR grade 2 hunting rifle (semi-auto, holds 4 rounds)? I was looking to get one of these over the Remington 7400 as I was told that it is more reliable and much more accurate.
I was also wondering if in a few years I could change the .308 barrel to a .300 Winchester magnum without a problem. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Have some experience w/ the BAR, and the Rem. and the BAR is definitely more reliable than the Rem. but it is a self-loader and subject to more possible feed problems, jams, etc. than a simple bolt action rifle. As for accuracy, you hear tales of super accuracy to terrible. The ones I have shot would hold about a 1.5-2" group at 100 yds and that is about all you can expect or actually need on a sporting/game type rifle.
The BOSS system on the newer versions of the BAR will help in the accuracy department, as long as you are using that particualr load. You change bullet weights, powder charge, etc. then you would have to re-adjust.

As for the change from 308 to 300 Win Mag., do not believe you could do that without some major alterations to the rifle. Bolt face of the 308 is .473 and the 300 Win Mag is .532 in diameter. In other words, an entirely different bolt and probably a whole lot of other changes would be required and doubt very seriously that Browning would do this. Obviously the barrel/chamber would be different and that would require a new barrel and the costs are already "way out of line..." Interchangeability I do not think is an option here, but if it can or has been done, perhaps others could help you out here.
Browning produces some of the world's finest firearms, but I am not a big fan of self loaders for sheer accuracy or reliability in sporting arms. Just my opinion and you know what opinions are similar to!!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I generally agree with MSL's comments. No 7400 experience, but my 740K is a 1-1/2" to 2" gun; the BAR has a rep as a 1" or 1-1/2" gun. For hunting, I don't think the difference in accuracy is worth the difference in cost.

You might check out Rob's 7400 thread, here.

FWIW, Art

FREE SPEECH

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I am going to try out a Rem 7400. I wanted the .338 BAR but I might just wait hold out for a nice bolt action.

orsogato

Free Speech

If you live/ hunt in a state in which you can use semi-auto rifles, and you want reliability, Look no further than An M1 Garand rifle. The .30-06 will get the job done. It is a "happy medium" between your .300 win mag and .308. If you cant kill it with a 180 grain at 2700 fps, your not going to kill it.

As far as relibility, the m1 is hands down a superior reliable weapon than any "sporting" semi auto such as BAR or Rem 7400.

YOu can scope it if you want too. And it still looks somewhat respectable as far as hunting rifles go w/ no detach box mag or "evil assault" weapon features.

my .02