Browning Bar vs Rem 700

I'm left handed, left eye dominant and looking to buy a left handed rifle. I have found two nice used models which I need help deciding, a Browning Bar semi-auto 308 cal LH and Remington 700 BDL LH bolt action in 30 06. I already have a right handed bolt action in 30-06 but I want a left handed rifle. I will use it for non competative target shooting and the occasional hunt, mostly deer. both rifles are in excellent condition with the BAR being $120 more than the 700. Thanking you in advance

zoomie

The 700 will be more upgradeable for your target shooting, especially being a long action. You can rebarrel to the best target cartridges later without too much fuss. The BAR will recoil less and probably weigh more. The accuracy edge probably goes to the 700. The chamberings are effectively the same as far as you're concerned.

I'd buy the 700 unless you want the semi-auto function.

javabum

What zoomie said.....really nothing to add.
I have the 700 BDL stainless 24" and simply love the rifle....
You wont be disappointed.

horseman308

If I were going buy a 30-06 for mostly target shooting and maybe a little hunting, I would probably buy the bolt action, because you can do so much more to it in order to wring out every little bit of accuracy.

I'd imagine that the BAR may be more fun to plink with, since it won't recoil quite as badly. But honestly, if I'm going to buy a semi-auto .30-06, I'd just buy an M1 Garand and get an adjustable gas plug and reload so I could shoot normal ammo without having to worry about finding surplus ammo.

jmorris

The BAR I have is in 300 win mag and it kicks less than my bolt 30-06. It is hard to go wrong with the 700, I have a few of them too and they always go bang. “Target” can be a lot of different things, the BAR will shoot MOA with the right load but I have more than one 700 that will have touching holes at 100 yards.

SmokyBaer

Both the BAR and 700 are excellent rifles and would be hard to justify one over the other. However, in my 30+ years of shootin, trading and travelin, 700s can be had in almost any deal but the Browning BARs are keepers. Every one of the guys I've met that owned and shot their BAR 7s and 300s have held onto them. So that just about settles it for me.

When the FNAR 308s came out and I found out they were VERY related to the BAR, I jumped on one and have not regretted it at all.

ARDogman

If I shot a rifle left handed, I would get the 700. Having a dedicated LH rifle would be appealing to me. FWIW, I have both a .270 700 CDL and a .30-06 Belgian BAR (I'm right handed.) My favorite of the two is the 700.

hooligan1

I bought one of those BDL's in the left-hand configuration for my son,( after his eye operation rendered the right eye useless) It was a very nice rifle, hadn't been shot much and he shot it pretty well,, We had a bad financial year and had to sell it and a few more. Biggest mistake, since I sold my Colt Car-15 rifle I had back in the 80's. point is I'd kick myself daily in public to have them back!!:(

Thanks for coming!:cool: