Browning BAR II?

JIH

My father has asked me questions about the Browning BAR II and my family has been considering getting him one for his birthday.

I do not know much at all about them, nor do any of my local shooting friends. I'm mostly familar (as are they) with AR-types, HK-types, FALs, Garands, M14s.

Are there any issues or problems with these rifles? Are there any high-points with these rifles? Are there any calibers to pursue or avoid?

If I were to buy for him, I'd likely choose .30-06 or .308, but my mom is suggesting to get him something different than I already have (reasoning that he can shoot .30-06 or .308 any time... he can just go shooting with me and fire off my Garand or my AR10), so I also suggested .243 or .300 WIN MAG (maybe 7mm MAG).

Any problems with those calibers specifically?

Treat me like a newbie with your answers about these rifles (i.e. don't hold anything back or assume I know something)

BADSBSNF81

Any thing that can go wrong with any gas operated auto could happen to the BAR. However, I've been shooting a 338 Win Mag BAR for over 10 years and haven't had any problems.

BIGR

I have had my Browning MK II Safari (30.06) since 1996 and have not had any problems with it. When I bought it I put a Bell and Carson Black synthetic stock on it and scoped it with a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 Monarch scope. When I hunt with that rifle it just feels right for the job. I have taken several deer with it and prefer to use it most of the time. As far as caliber it is hard to beat the ol 30.06. I have often thought about trying a .300 Mag in a safari but realize that the 30.06 will probaly do anything I need to do in the South. As far as I know Browning is the only gun manufacture that makes any of the magnum rounds in a semi auto rifle. Good Luck.

BusGunner007

JIH:
I have a BAR MkII Safari in 7mm Rem.Mag. with the BOSS-CR.
A Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 rides atop in Millett 'engraved' mekdium rings and 1-pc. base.
A Bell&Carlson 2-pc. stock surrounds the action.
I added a B-Square Match Roto-Tilt bipod.

Browning now makes a matte finish version of the BAR called the 'Stalker'. I'd like one of those, too!

Is this rifle going to be limited to the benchrest/range as a fun gun? Or, will it be used for hunting, too?
I ask because there are some really nice versions of the BAR.

I also have to ask if this is a gun you will be getting back one day, if you know what I mean...

This is the link to Browning and the BAR:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar.htm

This is the link to Browning and the B.O.S.S. :
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/boss/boss.htm

My gun is reliable, accurate, and a pleasure to own and shoot.
It is my nicest rifle, so far.
There is certainly a version made to your liking, as well as one your Dad would like.
You might want to have him pick it out as the surprise
:eek: since it's for him anyway! Right? Uh-huh.

Here's mine as it is now:

Attachments

• busmaster007  bar -1 enhanced.jpg
    busmaster007 bar -1 enhanced.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 86

JIH

Heheh.

Actually, it's really just for my father. I prefer my AR10 and Garand for medium-bore fun, at least for now. (Maybe it will be great and I'll gain a new preference) However, we are wanting to get it engraved, etc, to make it of some heirloom quality.

It's going to be a bench-rest/fun gun. He doesn't hunt (and neither do I). He shoots occasionally, but usually when I ask him to go with me.

You said it's accurate... how accurate? Any advantages to the BAR over a Remingon autoloader?

BusGunner007

:D
Based on what you said, you've got some choices.
The High Grade and the Safari come with 'engraving', probably rolled in.
The Stalker is matte finish and blank, leaving lots of room for engraving of your choice.
Being for mainly target shooting, I'd opt for a B.O.S.S. model and tune it to perfection.
That gives you the Safari and Stalker to choose from.
Heirloom quality would suggest polished blue metal and wood stock.
Custom engraving on the panels of the action; the Stalker.

If you were going to go with something that would be really new and different, the Stalker/B.O.S.S. in .300 WSM would be that.
It would be very sleek looking and stay in the .30 cal. range, if you reload.
There's only room for 3 rounds in the gun, vs. 4 in the other magnum calibers, though.
The Safari model is available in .270 if you wanted to keep the recoil down a bit.

The whole gun is a different class than the Remington autoloader.
The Remington is a functional workhorse.
The Browning is functional, too, but, it is more of a finely crafted machine, I guess.

As for accuracy, being able to tune the firearm to your choice in ammo is a big plus, making it as accurate as you want it after you experiment with the settings.

I think you and your Dad will like the BAR a lot.
It's a great rifle.
You'll know it when you start shooting it.