Browning Abolt help?? what did I buy??

DiscoRacing

Browning Abolt help?? what did I buy?? pics now

I just put some money down on a Browning Abolt but cannot find it anywhere on the net to see what the current value is. It is a abolt, with a laminated thumhole stock, blued barrel that has been ported,,,not the boss system, and there is a large engraving of an elk on the right rear of the stock. the serial number is as follows..with Xs blocking numbers... G-3XXX6-1... does anyone have any info on this model please. Any help would be appreciated. I tried to search for the serial number myself but have had no luck.

Last edited:

mxreloader

sounds to me like a limeted edition.300win mag...browing only make a handful of...if were talkin about the same thing

DiscoRacing

will have to get a pic on here... i wasnt able to pick it up this aft... didnt have the cash with me to swing it just now... but for sure had em hold it for me.... hope i didnt get taken to the cleaners on it.

mxreloader

if you paid less then a grand then you got a deal...i have only seen one ...it sold at a gunshow for 2000, but i would love to see a pic.

DiscoRacing

I will get a pic of it tomorrow and post here.... I have a friend who works where I have it on lay away... Im sure they will let me photo it.

goodspeed(TPF)

Come on buddy, this thread is useless without pics. On the other hand: I think it's a super limited and very rare "POS" edition from Browling. No, not Browning. Browling, the Taiwaneese import company. They make fireworks and such. :p

DiscoRacing

it says browning bbr on it

goodspeed... i can read...

browning.jpg

Scorch

it says browning bbr on it
Then it is not an A-Bolt, it is a Browning BBR. The Browning Bolt Rifle replaced the FN-produced Browning rifles, it was produced by Miroku until about 1985 when the A-Bolt was introduced. Good rifle, but parts are getting a bit scarce if you need them. That rifle is Magn-Ported. Magna-Port porting recoil reduction is only about 20%-30%, generally reduces muzzle rise quite a bit, but like any porting/muzzle brake it makes it loud. That BBR looks like it is in a Bishop thumbhole stock. As it sits, it is a custom rifle, and like most custom rifles the person selling it will not get out of it what they put into it. BBRs sell for about $700-$900. That one with the stock and porting may bring a bit more, but I wouldn't get too deep into it if it were me.

Last edited:

DiscoRacing

tkx... i had no idea about the abolt thing... only that they had told me that is what it is... i dont know too much about brownings... usually cant afford em.

lefteye

Then it is not an A-Bolt, it is a Browning BBR. The Browning Bolt Rifle replaced the FN-produced Browning rifles, it was produced by Miroku until about 1985 when the A-Bolt was introduced. Good rifle, but parts are getting a bit scarce if you need them. That rifle is Magn-Ported. Magna-Port porting recoil reduction is only about 20%-30%, generally reduces muzzle rise quite a bit, but like any porting/muzzle brake it makes it loud. That BBR looks like it is in a Bishop thumbhole stock. As it sits, it is a custom rifle, and like most custom rifles the person selling it will not get out of it what they put into it. BBRs sell for about $700-$900. That one with the stock and porting may bring a bit more, but I wouldn't get too deep into it if it were me.

The stock could be a custom Reinhart Fajen (also from Warsaw, MO), but like nearly all custom stocks that deviate too far from the stock of a pre-64 Win, the market value is a fraction of the original price. The BBR is a good rifle, but $700 or so is tops (unless the buyer must have that stock.)

(P.S. I have couple of ugly A-Bolt SS rifles, but they are shooters.)